question

nickdb avatar image
nickdb asked

ESS and low battery alarms

my Multi, MPPT, BMV and 4 x victron gel battery (in series) setup is generating frequent low battery voltage alarms as it dips beneath 49V (which is reportedly around 69% SOC according to the BMV).

The alarms clear almost immediately. I read some posts that suggested ESS can trigger this frequently as battery charge dips.

Is this normal for ESS and is there a way to make the alarms less frequent?

thanks

ESSlow battery warningalarm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @nickdb,

There are some suggestions in the ESS FAQ 5 - How can I suppress low battery warnings?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Hi. I read that faq but it is out of date.

The menu items have all changed and the defaults under “alarm setup” is now “alarm” anyway.

Hence why I posted the question.

I did change the automatic alarm rule on vrm to alarm only, will see if that helps.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

How are the alarms expressing themselves to you that you would like to change? E.g. emails, marks on the advanced tabs, audible sounds on the GX device?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Emails which i use to trigger alerts on mobile devices.

I wasn’t sure if this was the vrm rule or a gx generated event like grid loss etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

That will help, but may not solve the issue completely.

It could require adjusting the alarm voltage points on the Multi to below the point it is normally (safely) operating in.

Using the Advanced page of VRM, see the voltage that the batteries are cycling to, and reduce the alarm to below that.

0 Likes 0 ·
josmeijer avatar image
josmeijer answered ·

I have the same issue and wanted to tweak the alarm a little. But when I try to close the VEC setup and upload the changed parameters I get an error "cannot save file"

Further I get a notification that the Assistants have a newer version (ESS in my case) and obediently downloaded the new version but every time I start VEC setup I get that notification again. It is not the reason for the file-safe error, I tried without updating ESS with the same result.
alarm.jpg

I probably can try to dig-up the RS485 interface, unscrew the lid and locally do the tweaking (in the shed at 2 degrees centigrade). But I got a little spoiled and would like some tips on this file-error.

alarm.jpg (22.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic