question

midwest22 avatar image
midwest22 asked

How to autostart/stop my Onan 8000k with Victron CCGX?

I have a Victron CCGX along with a MPPT 150/85. I also have an Onan 8000k generator. Im looking for a SIMPLE solution to incorporating my CCGX with an auto-start/stop function on the generator. Upon digging online, and within this forum, I found some schematics where you can use relays to make this happen. I don't want to get involved with making a solution, I'd rather buy a 'box' that I can plug both my generator into along with the CCGX. Does anyone here know if such a solution exists?

Generator
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·

I used an universal (for all brands) solution from bernini-design.com Or you must use an Onan solution

0 Likes 0 ·
John Van Doren avatar image John Van Doren commented ·

Can you ad a link to such drawing, and possibly identify the relays?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
tony-c avatar image
tony-c answered ·

A lot will depend on what signal your Onan requires to Stop/Start. For example the Onan might require a close signal for 3 seconds

This is a job for a PLC (Programmable logic controller ) there are lots available try RS components. modern PLCs are not difficult to program. They will easily replicate what you do on the start panel to operate the Onan

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrseas avatar image
mrseas answered ·
2 |3000

drew-watkins avatar image
drew-watkins answered ·

Here is a solution for auto start Onan generator with CCGX that I found that is plug n play vs dealing directly with time delay relays.

it should be more widely advertised, and promoted by Victron IMO, so I’m spreading the word.

http://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-mini-o-generator-start-control-module-mini-onan-diesel/

1 comment
2 |3000

David Farbacher avatar image David Farbacher commented ·

Thanks for the information and link for this Onan auto start/stop, has anyone installed this and verified it’s a plug and play.

0 Likes 0 ·