question

oropi avatar image
oropi asked

Software upgrade for daily MIN/MAX voltage reset on the BMV

Hi, I’d like to suggest a software upgrade to the BMV 700 series whereby the Minimum and Maximum Voltage on BMV can be user reset as required, (minute, hourly, daily, etc) without deleting all the other battery history. Ideally by swiping and selecting reset on the Bluetooth app.

The reason is because I look after a few solar installations and having the end user reset the MIN/MAX and then after some tests tell me the new MIN/MAX over the phone can go a long way to diagnosing problems.

Currently they have to go to FUNC 61, but this clears all the battery history.

Selecting MIN/MAX reset would be an end-user option via the app, so if it is not selected then it does not affect or alter the current use, format or display of the meter.

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Vance Mitchell avatar image Vance Mitchell commented ·

I would also like the option of a reset. Or even a daily/weekly Min/Max rather than the overall history.

It appears to be FUNC 63 on some devices to clear History, FUNC 61 is the software version on a BMV-712 and FUNC 62 wipes all settings. (section 4.3 of the Manual )

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
oropi avatar image
oropi answered ·

And to take it to the next level ....

A resetable Max - Amps and MAX +A

So you can get a maximum current into the battery and a maximum out.

Most of my customers are a long way away, and by getting them to run a few tests and give me the numbers over the phone I can often narrow down the problem.

I usually give them a 'Solar Diary' and every day it would be great if they write down the MIN/MAX V and MIN/MAX A

Even if they don't understand the numbers they get to know what looks normal and especially what looks abnormal, and when there is a problem if they can repeat the last few days readings back to me I can see trends.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi both, for your information, we're working on "stored trends" which will solve most of your requests. Besides that I see how it can be useful to reset min/max voltage, added to the whishlist!

1 comment
2 |3000

oropi avatar image oropi commented ·

Thanks this is good news.

My suggestion would be a quick and easy upgrade with the same layout as the current VictronConnect App display, but with the ability to swipe left on the MIN/MAX V and select reset.

Version 2 would be another 2 lines below with MAX –Amps and MAX +Amps, likewise you can swipe left to reset.

Another option could be a line below with “ Reset all MIN/MAX” which resets both +/-V and+/- A

Then you could look at a more advanced stored trends upgrade

From a cost/benefit perspective, the more the Victron BMV can be used by non-technical owners to provide go/no-go information to solar installers (like me!) over the phone, the more it is likely to be promoted as the go-to solar system monitor.

Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy), it would be even better to have a 30 day history that included these max/mins (just like there is on the SmartSolar controllers), and min/max SOC.

I find myself using the SmartSolar data to analyse customer issues and check on their system, when the BMV would be better suited and have more specific data.

Probably wouldn't need the reset for individual min/max values if we had the 30 day history?

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Understood and I agree that it would be useful. Perhaps even more days.

most likely it will be stored trends first and anything else later.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic