question

conallp avatar image
conallp asked

Easysolar not sensing solar input

Hi. I’m not expert so this may be a foolish question, but

ive just installed 2 solar panels as a supplementary feed to my easysolar charger/inverter. Other input source is a generator.

Solar voltage is present in connectors at input. Bulk blue led lights up but my colour controller doesn’t acknowledge pv source and so I’m not sure if any charge input is actually being received. Easysolar stays on inverter mode when generator is off - not sure if that should switch to charge given daytime pv panels input

panels are in parallel. Can’t remember specifics but think each 400w and 37v output.

The above is the same whether the generator is on or off.

Any help much appreciated

Conall

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The MPPT is recognized by the CCGX?
Go to the device list and click on the MPPT there you should see details of the MPPT.
Maybe you can make some screenshots of this page.
Or use the VictronConnect App to connect to the MPPT.
Also some screenshots will help to find the problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

conallp avatar image
conallp answered ·

I don’t have any way to connect to the app as don’t have WiFi not a windows laptop so I’m a bit restricted in accessing the control interfaces, beyond the colour display.... some images below thanks

9 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

VictronConnect works via Bluetooth.
But if you have an older EasySolar than it is possible the is only a BlueSolar MPPT inside an this don't have Bluetooth.
To get the infos of the MPPT to the CCGX you need to connect both with a VE.direct cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
conallp avatar image conallp Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Helpful....?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ conallp commented ·

You'll need a VE.Direct cable from that GX to the mppt for it to be seen. The mppt may be working, but no cable, no see..

0 Likes 0 ·
conallp avatar image conallp JohnC ♦ commented ·

Aah. Ok. Something to get then. Thank you both.

So if front panel of easysolar is showing blue led bulk/absorb/float can I safely assume it is charging?

0 Likes 0 ·

Not necessarily. Those led's on the front panel largely relate to the Multi's charger, but they may actually bob with voltage triggers. I haven't looked to be honest, but who knows what firmware upgrades bring us? Voltage should confirm it anyway under charge, V is your friend and the GX will show that anyway as you have it now.

But you have a CCGX with no web/VRM access. You could also consider adding an ethernet cable/usb wifi dongle to that GX and get the full treatment. Recommended.

The VE.Direct port on the mppt is likely accessible directly from the bottom of your Easy. That cable comes in various lengths to suit your needs

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ conallp commented ·

@JohnC the front plate of the EasySolar 1600 has a cut-out for the LEDs of the MPPT ;)

@Conallp Assuming to your picture the MPPT is in float, so it has enough voltage from PV but it is already in the last charging state(because the Multi is also charging).
Take of the front plate to see if you have a BlueSolar or a SmartSolar inside the EasySolar.
If it is the SmartSolar you can use the VictronConnect App to connect to the MPPT via Bluetooth with a Smartphone/Tablet (iOS or Android, no Windows).

0 Likes 0 ·
conallp avatar image conallp Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Here’s the detail inside

0 Likes 0 ·

@Conallp

Bit busy in there, hey. That model has a bottom plate, but the VE.Direct port will be behind the mppt's blue led. I did miss that led shows on the front panel, a concession to the lack of an onboard CCGX I guess.

A Bluesolar mppt aboard, so forget the BT link. The VE,Direct cable to your GX is the way to roll.

0 Likes 0 ·
misullivan avatar image
misullivan answered ·

Looks like the ve,direct cable is in the MPPT.. you need to make sure it’s also plugged into the GX or it will be in “standalone” mode... which means float whilst the inverter is receiving power from the genny and the batteries are charged.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic