question

thezeroth avatar image
thezeroth asked

Can two Multiplus provide the same functionality of one Quattro?

I know that "Similar to the MultiPlus, the Quattro is also a combined inverter and charger. Additionally it can accept two AC inputs and automatically connect to the active source."

now if buy 2 MultiPlus, can they be configured to work together and provide the same functionality as 1 Quattro, another words: can I accept two AC inputs and automatically connect to the active source when using 2 MultiPlus at the same time.

the answer to this question is not clear, there are conflicting information about this question, nowhere in the manuals i could find a direct answer. would be nice if someone from Victron could provide a definite answer.

--Added--

I am assuming that 1 Quattro can combine the power of 2 different AC inputs for charging of the 1 battery bank, but i might be wrong in my assumption and 1 Quattro might be only able to automatically switch between 2 different AC inputs.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Should be possible with the "VE.Bus System Configurator" and selecting "2 AC inputs"
(open VE.Bus System Configurator, click on "help" and on "Tutorial" to learn how to use it)

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

In this configuration, how are the Multi's wired? Specifically what happens on the AC inputs and AC outputs? Do the Multi's combine power for the output?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Kevin Windrem commented ·

The outputs are wired in parallel (2-phase/3phase is also working, split-phase should also working).
The output power is combined like in a "normal" parallel setup (input and output paralled).
The inputs are separated, one to shore and one to generator.
AC IN 1 has priority over AC IN 2.

0 Likes 0 ·
thezeroth avatar image thezeroth Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Can 2 AC input powers be combined when using two Multiplus? e.g. if i connect a small generator with the limit of 18 Amp to one AC input and connect shore power with limit of 15 Amp to another input, can two Multiplus setup combine them for the total of 33 Amp for charging of one battery bank that is connected to both Multiplus? if instead of 2 Multiplus, i buy one Quattro, can one Quattro do the same thing?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ thezeroth commented ·

No, the system will use shore or generator. If both are connected and running AC IN 1 has priority over AC IN 2.

A Quattro will work the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
thezeroth avatar image thezeroth Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

so are you saying there is no advantage of having 2 Quattro instead of 2 Multiplus?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ thezeroth commented ·

I would say it depends on what exactly your planed setup is.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem thezeroth commented ·

I see two advantages of a Quatro advantage over a Multi:

1) You get two AC inputs so managing shore and generator power would be easier.

2) Increased power both in output and charging from a single unit

Personally, I'd choose a single Quatro over two Multis for simplicity.

For example, two 5000 Multis would be equivalent to one 10,000 Quatro but would provide redundancy assuming you could mange loads below the 5K mark during a failure.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

That's slick! So one Multi would run off battery and one off incoming AC for combined power. Correct?

Does the one with AC power contribute to the output with priority over the one that must run on battery?

The AC input is connected to the AC output when AC in is present. So obviously both AC inputs can't be active at the same time as that would connect the two AC inputs together. There's no guarantee they'd be at the same voltage, frequency and phase.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Kevin Windrem commented ·

I'm not entirely sure but I think the Multi with power at the input will become the primary source for the load's connected to the output and the other will only become active if the other is at it's limit (input current limit and inverting limit).

0 Likes 0 ·