question

leroyschmidtlap avatar image
leroyschmidtlap asked

ip65 12v 15amp recon mode

I understand the ip65 will not go into recon mode until current drops. At what current level will recon mode engage and how long after abs mode does it take? ALso what date does Victron expect to have firmware with full configurable settings?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Hello,

If 'recondition' stage is enabled (recondition LED illuminated), it will be activated as soon as 'absorption' stage is complete - the recondition LED will blink during the period while 'recondition' stage is active.

Note that during recondition stage the charge current is limited to 8% of the nominal charge current, (for example - 1.2A for a 15A charger).

So if the battery hasn't properly recharged at the end of absorption stage (which may happen with a damaged battery or inadequate absorption time) and the the total charger current output is above 8% of the nominal charge current when recondition stage commences, then it will be ineffective.

Firmware for the IP65 blue smart charger range already has fully configurable settings and recorded history since the release of FW v3.21 (released late May 2020). Is this the FW version you are running and if so, exactly what setting are you looking for?

This is the related blog for the FW update, including a short video:

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/05/18/victronconnect-v5-22-new-blue-smart-charger-features-and-more/

This is a link to the updated IP65 blue smart charger manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Blue-Smart-IP65-Charger-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-IT-PT-(A4).pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leroyschmidtlap answered ·

Thank you for your response. Firmware is 3.21. Recond light is blinking as charger goes into recon mode but voltage is 14.7 and amp is 7.5. Is abs time or charge limited? Will abs cease after a certain time or will it continue to battery is at a charge level. What I was trying to do in the expert mode is t change presets for recond voltage and time. The screen for that is grayed out when I get there.

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

The absorption stage duration is dependent on your settings (adaptive or fixed absorption), the maximum (or fixed) absorption time set and the length of the bulk phase, if adaptive absorption time is used.

With default settings and adaptive absorption, the absorption duration can range from a minimum of 30min to a maximum of 8h with a heavily discharged battery. Read section 3.1 - 3 in the manual to learn more.

To be able to change settings in 'expert mode' you need to select the 'Battery preset' drop down and select 'User defined' - then the settings text will change from grey to black and be able to be changed.

If your charger is providing ~7.5A while in 'recondition' stage, then something seems wrong with the battery, unless you are also powering some loads at the same time.

To run a 'recondition' cycle, ensure all loads are disconnected from the battery - the battery should only be connected to the charger.

Per my initial response, the charge current is limited to 8% of the nominal charge current during 'recondition' stage - while increasing the battery voltage above the 'absorption' voltage to the 'recondition' voltage.

So if the charge current remains high, that is required just to maintain the 'absorption' voltage and the voltage will not rise further to the 'recondition' voltage set point.

0 Likes 0 ·
leroyschmidtlap answered ·

I will try that. The charger does not show what is charged in amps after the step in a cycle is done although it will show what is being charged during the step it is in. It will show me the AH charged for each step in history. I am charging two 6v lifeline batteries gpl-6ct (300amps) wired in series and believe the charger is "timing" out before full charge is realized. I did check the charger as it went into the recon mode last cycle and the recon light was blinking but the bluetooth at that step showed 14.7v and 7.5 amps. I may just have a bad set of batteries although Lifeline have been very good to me over the 15 years I have used them. I thought I could bring this set back if I was able to get into a recon mode with 16volts and low amps. The batteries are not connected to anything while being charged.

2 |3000

xyzt avatar image
xyzt answered ·

Hello,

@Mark said: "Firmware for the IP65 blue smart charger range already has fully configurable settings"

There is no basic setting that would allow to freely set the maximum current, e.g. 0.04 A. If it were possible to set it (even in Power Supply mode), it would solve my problem (however, if the voltage could be set to 16.7V because it now limits it up to 14.7V ).

1 comment
2 |3000

xyzt avatar image xyzt commented ·

IP65, but even IP22 has little more, so in practice it amounts to one thing.

0 Likes 0 ·