question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

VE.Bus control/setup from Victron Connect iOS

Documentation says VictronConnect running on iOS (iPhone or iPad) can not access VE.Bus devices because the iOS device does not have a USB port. However there are adapters that provide a USB output from an iOS device: Apple Lightening to USB Camera Adapter and Lightening to USB 3 Camera Adapter for iPhones and iPads with Lightening connectors, and the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter and Apple USB-C AV Multiport Adapter. The Apple Lightening to USB 3 Camera Adapter and Apple USB-C AV Multiport Adapter both have power through connector. There are many third party adapters as well.

I suggest VictronConnect be updated to allow iOS devices to access VE.Bus devices.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Kevin, last time I really checked, which was a few years ago, doing so was either super complex or plain impossible, required an Apple MFI program or otherwise.

I did another brief google tour just now; and looks like there is no real progress yet - except for a new ipad which has a real USB-C port. And with that still there are reports of it not supporting everything.

but maybe you did find some information that a usb to serial adapter (which is part of what is in the mk3) does work?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

I don't know if USB device works but I had success connecting a class-compliant USB audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett) to my iPad using the Lightening to USB 3 Camera Adapter. The app I used for testing was Apple's GarageBand.

I also just verified that same Scarlett plus another one (Behringer XR18) work in GarageBand using a USB-C to USB-B cable (no adapter).

I'm not sure if this experience means anything regarding Victron Connect and the MK3.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Kevin Windrem commented ·

I don't know either - we'll check - at some point / might take quite a while: there are a few other quite large VictronConnect projects going on that have priority over all else.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources