question

maplegate avatar image
maplegate asked

Why would SmartSolar show just 2W in full sun?

I have a SmartSolar MPPT 150/60 with 640W of solar panels.

What does it mean that "solar" is just 2W in full sun? I am connected to shore power, so a separate charger is charging the batteries. Does the "2W" mean the batteries are just full and the solar.

Also, over the past week most days show exactly 80Wh yield each day, with Pmax 60-70W. It just seems to me something is off or has failed.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Batteries (nearly) full would be the obvious answer. Especially if also charging from another source.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maplegate avatar image
maplegate answered ·

I read other posts with similar questions and saw suggested to disconnect/reconnect the charger. I did so, waited 3-4 minutes, then connected batteries, then PV. Immediately the Solar reading jumped to 100-110W, and is clearly dynamic, bouncing around from 70W to 120W as shadows from a nearby tree begin to touch the PV array. "Reboot" of sorts seemed to be the trick!

2 |3000

felix-schuchmann avatar image
felix-schuchmann answered ·

I've just observed the same/a similar behavior and there seem to be a beta firmware, maybe it's the same problem you encountered. See related thread here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/181872/smartsolar-10020-drops-to-10w-intermittently-for-n.html?childToView=249035

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic