question

Todd Wackford avatar image
Todd Wackford asked

150/100 SmartSolar Chargers not MPPT Tracking/Charging Correctly Without Resetting Every Day

Newly installed MPPT Chargers (2) do not appear to be tracking correctly. If the PV input is turned off and then back on, they correct themselves and track and output correctly the rest of the solar day.
Equipment: 2 each, SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/100 rev2 , Firmware v1.50

I've attached a picture where you can see the difference between two days. The first, or left profile is where I reset the input at 8:00 AM. The profile the rest of the day is as expected. The right profile is where I reset the input from PV array in the PM. The profile goes from bad to good as soon as they are reset.

Does anyone have an answer/solution to this issue?

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
edphonse avatar image
edphonse answered ·

I too am having issues with my 150/100s that seem to be similar to yours but it is hard to tell since I am not getting as nice of inputs as yours.

I have 2x 150/100 each attached to 12x100 watt panels( 3 parallel strings of 4 panels) and I have them mounted flatly on my roof ( so I know I will lose some efficiency) but it struggles to produce 1/3 (typically sits around 400-600 watts at its peak for both combined) of the rated capacity of the panels and through the entire day, my 2.4kw system routinely only provides me with roughly 2kwh of power through an entire day.

And no, my batteries are not fully charged, I routinely have to boost them with grid or generator power to prevent them from getting too low through the night.

I originally had a 150/70 controller with 8x100 panels and it worked flawlessly routinely putting out 650+ watts but I got rid of that and swapped in the 150/100, added more panels to the array and just never got close to peak performance since. I am slowly starting to believe these 150/100s are faulty and I have had 3 of them so far.

I am curious what you mean by resetting though?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.