question

wayneh avatar image
wayneh asked

MultiPlus 12/2000/80 tripping Shore RCD

Hi Folks,

I have installed a MultiPlus Compact in my camper set up, it's all working fine on 12v but when I connect shore power, the RCD on the shore power supply trips within a couple of seconds. When I disconnected the Earths from the PE input/output everything works as it should and nothing trips.

I have the body of the unit earthed to the body of the van. I have tried it with the incoming earth from shore power earthed to the van and not earthed to the van, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Do I need to change the settings of the relay?

Any help appreciated.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Is the RCD tripping immediately or after a few seconds when the Multi pass through the shore?
What happens if you disconnect the AC OUT?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wayneh avatar image
wayneh answered ·

@matthias Lange - DE

It trips immediately after it passes through through the shore. Just to add, I am building out the system so right now there is nothing connected to the system, I have the AC out going into a breaker on the consumer unit within the vehicle but that breaker is switched off.

2 |3000

wayneh avatar image
wayneh answered ·

I have figured it out. The guy who installed the 240 side suggested that we run the shore power through a trip on the way in as a safeguard rather than assuming the campsite power/trip was safe. What I didn't realise was that he wired the incoming neutral and earth into the common buzz bars that the AC out was wired to. I have now isolated the incoming neutral and earth and all is working fine.

2 |3000