question

jacob-dominguez avatar image
jacob-dominguez asked

Controller Capacity Question

Hello, I just purchased my first Victron controller (150/35 MPPT). For now, I am planning on using this with a 24V setup. Two 12V batteries in series, and a 200 Watt 24V (37.6V Vmp) Solar panel. I will be adding panels to my setup over the next few months. My question is:

Since this controller is a 150/35 12/24/48, could I eventually add up to 18X 200 Watt panels at 24V?

18X 200 Watt panels (5.32Amp, 45.4Voc)

3 panels in series to increase voltage to 136.2 Voc, but keep amps in each series at 5.32

6 of these series will be in parallel which will make 5.32*6 = 31.92Amp and 136Voc

In Total I would have 31.92Imp and 112.8Vmp totaling 3,601Watt output to controller to charge my 24v battery bank, which I will also be increasing in size.

I understand moving up to 48V would be best, to half the amperage.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

The part numbering (150/35) is the maximum pv voltage (150) and the maximum charge current (35).

20% over on panels tends to be ok (sometimes advised to allow for sub optimal performance of panels) but any more and I would be changing controller.

If you look in the data sheet you will notice the nominal solar values.

For 24v it is 1000w which means you could run 6 x 200w panels (1200w) and have the output capped at 1000w.

For 48v you could happily connect 12 panels.

If you connect 18 panels to the controller it will still have a maximum output of 35 Amps so would be wasting a lot of capacity and depending on how the controller works, could have to dissipate some of the excess as heat.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jacob-dominguez avatar image jacob-dominguez commented ·

Thanks for your response. I guess I’m confused by that nominal solar value. Going off my numbers above, by connecting my panels in series & parallel, I should be able to get 18 panels and stay under both the 150v and 35amp input to the controller. If I can stay under those numbers, what is limiting me to 1000W?

0 Likes 0 ·
jacob-dominguez avatar image jacob-dominguez commented ·

Okay apologies, read your comment and I think I get it now. The 35 is the maximum amp output to the batteries, not the maximum amp to the charge controller. Looks like I will need to go to 48v sooner than later. Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ jacob-dominguez commented ·

@Jacob Dominguez

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

Victron have the free tools to help with panel configuration.

Nice feature at the bottom is the yeilds graph.

There is also an excel sheet if you would prefer.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/software/VE-MPPT-Calc-1_9.xlsx&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiRw9_V8fbqAhXtZhUIHchBAEEQFjABegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2ISJAWlWwXBrUYwg0z8hUo

The excel sheet is a bit more detailed with yeilds and if you have oversized your arrays.

0 Likes 0 ·
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

Yes, you’d definitely want to watch the voltage coming in. Some 24V 200W panels can have an open circuit voltage over 40 so adding very many of those will have you over the incoming PV limit in a hurry. I was originally looking at the 150/85, but changed to the 250/100 to give room to roam. I have 4 x 300W panels on in series, with room for 2 or three more, if needed, more if I break them into parallel arrays. In the end, I am keeping charge power under well under the 100 amp limit so more is not that beneficial.

As noted in the other answer, the 150 is an incoming voltage limit, and the 35 is the outgoing amp limit to the battery bus. The SCC will convert any incoming voltage over your battery setting (~26.6) to increased amperage on the output side. In other words, if you’re nearing that 150V incoming limit, you’re likely well past the 35 amp output and the SCC will not use that power unless your loads are drawing it off. That‘s why it’s always so important to match your SCC, Inverter if used, panels, and battery bank. They are most efficient when matched.

2 |3000