question

TrinasGarden avatar image

Direct MPPT Load-Out options?

Hi

I have the 100/15-smart.

I regularly use the direct-load output to recharge small portable things while doing gardening (like tablet and phones and small camping batteries and power banks).

I was under the belief that this output on the smaller MPPT chargers would use "excess" solar power vs taking it direct from the battery.

Is there a function for this that many people use it for like with built-in relay and street-light functions)?

For me I wish it could be monitored by my BMV712 to help me track system usage and would like excess solar to loads so I could charge portable battery devices.

Can it be done with the relays?

Maybe I need to get out my manual and do some more Google-Fu?

MPPT - Solar Charge Controller
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
WKirby avatar image
WKirby answered ·

The load output switch acts directly on the battery output, as if connected to the battery terminals directly. Therefore when active, anything connected to the load output terminals will be connected to the battery. There is also a current sensor dedicated to the load output terminals to measure power going out to loads.
If there is enough solar, then the MPPT output will increase proportionately to try and maintain the battery Voltage at the set level for that stage. Battery current should remain much the same, but solar PV current should increase to satisfy the load. The same would happen if you connect something directly to the battery terminals.
Basically, solar energy is always the default source, battery is the second source. There are no settings to change this. So it's a bit curious what you are observing. Would it be possible for you to post some screenshots in order to help us understand what you see?

10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.