question

nickdb avatar image
nickdb asked

More Alarms debug data needed to help diagnose ESS overload

I am getting constant L1 overload alarms despite usage not being an issue. I have read the many docs and faqs that provide advice, however an alarm provides zero debug on where to investigate.

For example, an L1 overload alarm can be triggered by many things, more so with ESS, but when it happens you get no data from the subsystem that triggered the event.

This is a problem.

Multiplus-IIESSMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Nick, yes it could/should be improved.

for your issue, I assume you found that you need to try with LOM disabled on the grid connected AC input on the Grid tab?

if there are no loads & your system is ESS, then thats what you have to do.

and if you can improve the wiring, do that. And if not, install external anti islanding device.

more details in the document you’ll have seen.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

We have an iron running against a low base load. Every time the element kicks in (up to 2500w) it triggers an alarm. The power is first pulled from battery (up to 2100w) which makes no sense with a 1000w inverter limit and that we are on grid.

Why is it doing this?

Batteries are being drained despite being on grid and the alarms don’t give any data why.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

This is a new install with new wiring, the gauge is higher than required.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

The docs & possible issue I’m referring to doesnt relate to only your wiring, also the wiring between last mile transformer and your property.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

This only started when ESS was enabled.

The alarms clear the moment they are created.
something is off.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

Have you at least tried that suggestion? I really advice to do that.

That (pointing to the doc and stipulating to try what it suggests) the best I can do for you here - for more official help, contact your dealer.

(or perhaps someone else here on Community can help you, that would be perfect as well ofcourse).

Best, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I have changed modes to keep batteries charged and it is now behaving itself.

What i am describing should be obvious.

Something is wrong here.

Would appreciate some support instead of having me turn things off that the docs also advise you against.

This can be reproduced.

0 Likes 0 ·

You can go through official channels too, but if no one can solve it then the official Victron answer will be the same: first update all firmware, and then turn LOM off. Even if only to know where the issue lies.

i really like to help, but so far I keep repeating myself and you simply refuse to do whats advised. I am sorry but I cant help further.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Firmware is current.

I am reluctant to turn LOM off as your own docs advise it is risky to do so which makes it my issue.

All i am asking is for someone to talk to me and look at the data we have and then make an informed decision.

The behaviour is not right, this is obvious.

I can ask my local distie that has no clue and will try sell me another product.

There is a similar question on Q&A so I am not alone, so perhaps can someone just try speak to me and maybe we can help others.

that changing modes changes behaviour might mean something.

0 Likes 0 ·

As the doc say, please try to disable lom - even if only - as the docs say - to diagnose where the issue lies.

Its very well possible that the active LOM mechanism causes this.

So to know that, or to exclude that, above test is what needs doing.

discussing more is pointless.

0 Likes 0 ·