question

seahaul avatar image
seahaul asked

DC-DC convertor sizing and isolation

I am looking to put together a 12V sailboat system from a yanmar with an 80 amp dumb alternator. O have a lead starter battery and lithium house batteries. Do i need isolated or not? Sounds like isolated is OK. Also would I go to a larger DC-DC convertor or just stick with the 30 amp.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

HI @seahaul,

because you have a difference in battery chemistry, lead acid vs. lithium, does not necessarily mean you need an isolated DC-DC charger. It really depends on how the negative of the two battery types are interconnected.
When both batteries have a common ground, then there is no reason for an isolated charger.

The 30 amp version will be good, without having too much stress on your alternator. Please keep in mind that the 30 amp charger will put out up to 40 amps, depending on temperature.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seahaul avatar image
seahaul answered ·

Thanks, is there any benefit over a charging relay or battery combiner?

2 |3000

seahaul avatar image
seahaul answered ·

Thanks, is there any benefit over a charging relay or battery combiner?

2 |3000