question

o14p avatar image
o14p asked

Orion-TR 12/12-30 isolated convertor - on/off blinking

Hi all,

We are currently working on our van build (VW Crafter 2012) and came across an issue we can’t seem to figure out:

• Orion-TR 12/12-30 Isolated convertor
    • Connected between the car battery and the LiFePO4 battery
    • Remote on activated
  • Issue:
    • on/off light is blinking
    • voltage on input terminals goes from >12V (when remote is off) to <9V (when remote is on)
  • GOAL of this set-up
    • Provide energy to the LiFePO4 battery and the Multi invertor from the car battery

Thank in advance for helping us.

Kind regards,

Olivier

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

30A is lots of amps. If voltage drops to less than 9V these amps even go up to over 40A, cables are either too small or at the other end not enough electrons are available due to too small car battery or alternator. It blinks to tell you you have a undervoltage problem and stuff might get damaged soon.

Possible options are your alternator will overheat while sitting in a traffic jam over time, your car battery will be discharged and needs replacing and leaves you stranded or the truck burns down because of a cable fire.

Measure voltage at car battery with and without engine running on low idle, elevate rpm to 2500 and check again also at the Orion. At that last test it should be working fine but your problems have not been solved yet. Do get back with test results. Cheers.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

memyselfandvan avatar image
memyselfandvan answered ·

I'm experiencing the same blinking on off led, ive connected the engine running 12v to pin H, the 12/12/30 isolated dc to dc is working, and charging my lithium, and unit heats up.

I have all the correct sized cables, and fuses in place.

I carried out the suggested tests above, but on off still blinks with 25krpm

In Victron connect app, it shows as working too, but confused why the on off green led is blinking?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic