question

bscholz avatar image
bscholz asked

Controler doesn't read panel voltage

This worked all last season. No changes have been made since. Now the controler doesn't read the panel voltage correctly.

The voltmeter gives me 58v all the way to where the wires connect to controler. As soon as I connect, the voltage drops to 11v and no charging occurs.

I've redone connections with no help. About ideas?

voltage
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@BScholz

Are you running the latest firmware? The new one usually states why the charger is not working? If you are and it is not there may be a bigger problem.

Have you been following the sequence of connect and disconnect from the manual?

3.4 Cable connection sequence (see figure 4 at the end of this manual)

First: connect the cables to the load, but ensure that all loads are switched off.

Second: connect the battery (this will allow the controller to recognize system voltage).

Third: connect the solar array (when connected with reverse polarity, the controller will heat up but will not charge the the battery). Torque: 1 Nm The system is now ready for use

Why I ask is maybe the picture is from a bad angle but it does look like pv is connected but battery is not? This can cause internal issues.

With only the battery only connected are you reading any voltage at the pv panel terminals?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
maxxpwr avatar image
maxxpwr answered ·

There's a solid chance the diode in the charger is shot and it's dropping battery voltage to the panels. Disconnect pv and check again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic