question

ricksouth avatar image
ricksouth asked

Is it possible to add my old starter battery to my household bank

Hi everyone,

I'm currently converting a campervan and after some issues with the engine not starting in one go, I'm about to replace the starter battery. I think the main problem was the battery not always being able to supply the high power demand.

I've got two solar panel arrays with two MPPT controllers. Linked to two lead acid batteries in my main bank. The starter battery is also lead acid. I was wondering if it's possible to reuse the starter battery with the two others. The Ah are different and so are the manufacturers. The starter battery is 100Ah and the other two 190Ah.

I've read some conflicting answers online and hope someone can give a definitive answer.

Thanks for the great products Victron!

starter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

short answer is no. Starter batteries aren't designed for that use and you couldn't link it in parrallel to the other batteries as it will result in one battery taking all the load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic