question

christoph0815 avatar image
christoph0815 asked

charge battery with ac output off

Hi I have a Multiplus 48/5000/70. I wanted to ask if it is possible to only charge the battery via the AC input and have the "AC-Out-1" and "AC-Out-2" off? I realized that the batter is charging in "on" and "charger only" mode, but in both modes the "AC-Out-1" and "AC-Out-2" are on as well.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Hi Not out of the box I’m afraid.

All I can suggest is you turn off the breakers on the output when you desire it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image
harold answered ·

you can programm this via Assistants

4 comments
2 |3000

Sean avatar image Sean commented ·

Hi Harold, how would you achieve this using assistance? I'm struggling to find the right one. Help appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Sean commented ·

Unfortunately, the answer above is not completely correct, a lot of detail is missing.
I shall expand on that answer.

You cannot program AC-OUT or AC-OUT1 with an assitant. There is no relay to control this output.

The backfeed relay just after AC-IN needs to be closed for the charger to work. Once the backfeed relay is closed then AC-IN is connected to AC-OUT via this relay. No option to disconnect the AC-OUT.

On some models there is a relay to control AC-OUT 2 which, depending upon the configuration inside, may have its own relay. The internal configuration depends upon which model you have.

Check out this comparison sheet below. You can see the block schematic inside the various models:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-II-to-MultiGrid-and-MultiPlus-comparison-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Sean commented ·

I am curious why do you want this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sean avatar image Sean seb71 commented ·

I think we have found a solution using the ACout2 programmable relay.

We are retrofitting a multi to an old system, where the ATS starts when AC power is lost. So when ACIN and ACOUT are both active the generator doesn't stay on.

0 Likes 0 ·
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

Putting the Multiplus into "Charger Only" setting will still pass power to AC Output 1 if line power is available, AC Out 2 will be off. In "Off" setting, no power passes to either output. In the "On" setting, power goes to both outputs if Line power is available, and to AC Output 1 only if running on batteries alone. I had to check that to make sure!

I think it is possible to program a "safety switch" in the Assistants that can function like a kill switch for AC Output, and though I have not attempted this, it sounds like it may accomplish your goal. Make sure it is the last in the list of your Assistants, as it works through them in order. It could be deadly bad if a later Assistant turns the power back on. Tread carefully in the programming area!

As someone else noted, it's likely best, and easiest, to have output 1 and 2 going to breakers you can turn off when not needed. The breaker in the off position is a more "sight checkable" method to be sure the power is cut than relying on an Assistant.

2 |3000