question

wombats-rest avatar image
wombats-rest asked

Can I connect 5 panels in parallel to my 100/50 MPPT?

Hi All

Ive just purchase a 100/50 MPPT Smart solar. I have 10 180W, 36V,5A panel taken from my house and will be using these for my offgrid holiday cabin.

My calcalutaions tells me that i can use 4 panels connected in parallel which would give me 720W. Could i get away with 5 panels?

TIA

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wombats-rest avatar image
wombats-rest answered ·

Sorry yes its 12V. Thanks for your reply.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You did not tell us your battery Voltage. Presumably it's 12V?

If you can put 5 panels, then that would really help when the weather is not sunny. In sunny weather, the 100/50 will limit the battery current to 50A no matter how many extra panels you have.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Wombats Rest

You could likely use all 10 of those panels if you wanted, in 2S5P configuration. That'd make short & foul winter days almost unnoticeable.

The Isc (short circuit current) could be up to 60A with that mppt, and 5x should be a doddle. Even more... what's the Isc of your panels?

You could run your panel figs through this: https://mppt.victronenergy.com/

It'll recommend an mppt, but if within the capabilities of your 100/ (V) unit then you'll be ok. If it says 150/, then you shouldn't series wire them. The Amp recommendation is irrelevant, and your /50 will just curtail it's A as it needs.

2 comments
2 |3000

wombats-rest avatar image wombats-rest commented ·

Thanks John

ISC is 5.29A for my panels.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ wombats-rest commented ·

@Wombats Rest

I'd series wire them in pairs, then parallel in as many as you want, yep the whole 10x.

Sure you'd be 'overclocked' with Watts, but it'd work fine, and cover bad weather well. And if you wanted in the future to expand your cabin capabilities, you could series your batts too and add a 24V inverter. 12V loads like lights through a dc>dc Orion converter. Then you could harvest more of that potential..

0 Likes 0 ·