question

saxofon avatar image
saxofon asked

DC/DC charger 48VDC to 12VDC

In the product list there is nice DC/DC chargers for 12/24VDC input and 12/24VDC output.
How about to extend these product offerings with 48VDC input and 12VDC output, preferable isolated?

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

safiery avatar image safiery commented ·

The 48/12V DC to DC converter is not a smart charger. It is purely to drop down the voltage level. We (Victron Dealer) sell a 48V to 12V buck boost that will charge up to 3000W in either direction.

0 Likes 0 ·
saxofon avatar image saxofon safiery commented ·

Yes I know a converter is not a charger, thus asking for it.

Please tell more about your alternative.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
tilo avatar image
tilo answered ·

Hi,

They exist. 3 models available:

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-dc-dc-converters-isolated

By the way, the tag MPPT - Solar Charge Controller does not fit for this product/question.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ev-gavia avatar image
ev-gavia answered ·

The orion models referenced in the link are not chargers, they are simply converters. They aren't 'smart' and can't be configured with the charging profile of the 12V battery, unfortunately.

2 |3000

jimj avatar image
jimj answered ·

Hi. I've been hoping that Victron would offer a smart 48V-12V charger such as discussed. Hunting around with Google I found a product made in the UK that looks promising: https://www.ebay.com/itm/330932593423

2 |3000

ningaloo avatar image
ningaloo answered ·

Couldn't you use an MPPT SmartSolar converter for this? The 48V source woul just replace the PV panel.

I'm interested as I have a 1.2kW 48V battery that I'd like to use to boost my 12V yacht power when sailing at night.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
Hi @ningaloo

The mppt would be ok. But as a booster for a 12V bank the Orion works fine on it's own. Just manually adjust it's output V to suit.

I grabbed one some 5 years back as a power supply for my 12V lights, etc. Then found myself with 675Ah of surplus 12V batts. So I set it up as a charger @13.5V flat, and it's rolled on for over 5 yrs. Some of those old fla batts are of unknown age, but > 11 yo. The Remote terminals are handy, and I switch mine either manually, or automagically with Multiplus Assistants. Works great.

1 Like 1 ·