question

trougnouf avatar image
trougnouf asked

Switch from solar to AC charging when batteries are low

I am getting a houseboat which has two small solar panels but nothing in the way of land/AC connections, and I would like to charge the batteries with AC/220V when their level is too low while using solar energy as much as possible.

The load is relatively small, mainly a fridge and the lights. There are two separate batteries for the engine starter and the rest.

Is there such a system that would charge the batteries while making the switch between solar and AC source automatically?

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
sprintershawn avatar image
sprintershawn answered ยท

It is not an either/or. AC charge and solar can both provide charge simultaneously. You just need to make sure you have smart solar chase controller and smart AC charger that turns the charging off once the desired change voltage is receded.,

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trougnouf avatar image trougnouf commented ยท

Thank you ! I guess all I need then is to add a smart AC charger like the "Blue Smart IP22 Charger" and the bluetooth app should let me set it to charge up to about 12.2V (50%).

edit: actually I don't see any indication that the "Blue Smart IP22" allows me to set a cutoff voltage to stop charging, so I have yet to find such a device.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic