question

Jonathan Phillips avatar image
Jonathan Phillips asked

Exporting power to the grid.

Hi Everyone

I want to add a Multiplus-11 GX 24/3000/70-3 to my current system in order to export power back to the grid when I have excess. I have a 150/70 MPPT Charge controller and a Multiplus Compact 24/1600/40-16 (which the GX will replace) connected to my 550amp/hr battery bank. The 24/1600 is connected to the grid so that I can charge the batteries after several weeks of poor weather in the winter. Will the Multiplus-11 GX automatically export back to the grid when the batteries are full and no loads are being used ?

I don't know if the 24/1600 can export back to the grid already, maybe it can?

I live in Perth Western Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Jon

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
crazy-marty avatar image
crazy-marty answered ·

No. You can not do that with out it being approved through the power company.

The equipment must have phase matching capabilities and open line shut off. Because you do not want to feed power back up a line that went down. It can kill people.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

el-gallo-azul avatar image el-gallo-azul commented ·

As far as I know (from the Victron training modules), the Multiplus-11 GX has phase-matching capabilities.

Yes, I would also like to know about the open-line shutoff functionality of the Multiplus-11 GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
solarhack avatar image solarhack el-gallo-azul commented ·

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by Open line? Do you mean loss of mains either through a mains power outage or through a mains disconnection (Intentional or not)? If so the MP II supports anti-islanding (IEC 62116:2014) and disconnects automatically from the grid for safety.

0 Likes 0 ·
el-gallo-azul avatar image el-gallo-azul solarhack commented ·

My understanding was that "open-line shutoff" means the same thing as"anti-islanding".

0 Likes 0 ·
solarhack avatar image solarhack el-gallo-azul commented ·

Cool

0 Likes 0 ·
Nico Bayer avatar image
Nico Bayer answered ·

Hi

For exporting power to the grid, the Inverter and especialy the LOM detection has to meet the local standarts.
Have a look at the Certificates auf the Multiplus you want to use and see if you can find one that is accepted by your power company.

Also have a look at the grid code and LOM detection documentation:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:grid-codes-and-loss-of-mains-detection

1 comment
2 |3000

solarhack avatar image solarhack commented ·

As mentioned above, the device can but you would have to comply with your local authority and power company and get their input.

The Victron Mp II inverters comply to AS/NZS 4777.2 ( https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-ESS-EN-IEC-62109-1-62109-2-AS-620240.1-AS-NZS-4777.2-MultiPlus-II-(GS)-3k-&-5k.pdf ) . As far as I'm aware it does not support the Southern Australia VRDT requirements yet, I'm not sure that is applicable to Western Australia though.

There are two LOM options, one with "Neutral externally connected" and one without

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·