question

tex260z avatar image
tex260z asked

Connect Smart charger direct to battery or through the BMS?

Hi Guys,

Finally got the BMV-712 installed and updated, waiting on a temp sensor to arrive in the mail.

Now I have a question, as my van lives in a shed with no sunlight falling on the panels I need to use my Victron Smart battery charger to keep the batteries up to snuff now and then.

Considering I now have the BMV-712 my question is this:

Should I continue to connect the charger directly to the main battery positive and negative terminals? OR should I connect the negative to the third charging lead on the BMS (solar), that leg input is good for 50 amps by the way.

B.T.W. I was told by Victron that I could leave the charger permanently attached (storage mode) if required.

Cheers

Tex

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I‘m no expert on the BMS, but I thought I should point out that the negative of the charger should be going to a point on the load side of the shunt. Nothing should be connected to the negative terminal of your battery pack except the line going to the shunt. Otherwise, the BMV712 will not see charging or draws from that device, and will show inaccurate information for the system.

I hope that is helpful to you!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Tex260Z

What kind of batteries, what BMS?

can you provide a diagram of the system? pictures?

2 comments
2 |3000

tex260z avatar image tex260z commented ·

200 Ah LiFePO4 prismatic.

Daly 3 port DG4S200A BMS (50 amp charging).

0 Likes 0 ·
tex260z avatar image tex260z commented ·

Ok, anybody want to check and verify my settings? Got the Network thing happening.

0 Likes 0 ·
bmv-712-1.png (200.8 KiB)
bmv-712-2.png (163.7 KiB)
bmv-712-relay.png (160.3 KiB)
charger-1.png (135.4 KiB)
charger-2.png (134.1 KiB)
mppt-7515-1.png (170.4 KiB)
bmv-mppt-network.png (200.3 KiB)
tex260z avatar image
tex260z answered ·

So, just to be clear I am currently connection the Victron Smart charger to the B- Neg of the shunt, but you can see that the third leg C- of the BMS goes through the shunt negative as well, so by connecting directly to the B- (blue cable) side of the shunt I am bypassing the BMS, good idea or not? charger is just sitting in storage at the moment. I have to use the charger because the panels don't work at all in the shed.

2 |3000

tex260z avatar image
tex260z answered ·

And now for my next question.

I believe I can control my Victron BD with the BMV-712, anybody like to give me a schematic and some settings?

Cheers

Tex

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic