question

lmichel avatar image
lmichel asked

Which side of Shunt to connect NEG of charger to BMV-712?

It seems like this was asked quite a bit in previous posts, but no answers come up?

If I connect my Outback charge controller to my Lion Energy bank through the shunt, I get the following issues:

If NEG connected to the BAT side of the shunt, the bank charges nicely but obviously the 712 can't account for the current and pretty much everything reported is off - except the voltage.

If NEG connected to LOAD side of the shunt, the current and numbers are correct, but the lifepo4s won't charge. (current won't backflow through the shunt?)

I know the diagram(s) specify that I should connect NEG to LOAD side, but what am I missing??

Thx

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, the shunt is just a piece of “messing” - I cant find the dutch word just now - which is conductive. Its impossible for the current not to be able to backflow through it.

So something else must be amiss.

I can confirm: negative of that chargers must go to load side of the shunt.

Ps. Can you post links of the other posts about this that havent been answered?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.