question

jaaksza avatar image
jaaksza asked

Active AC Input disconnected AND high voltage alarm daily

So any constructive assistance will be highly appreciated. I have researched this fault numerous times now and also looked across many forums, but I seem to not be able to diagnose and correct these errors.

Background: I have a Multi 2 5000 connected to Cerbo GX with 250/100 MPPT and BMV 702 connected to a 120Ah lithium bank that has its own BMS (so a dumb lithium essentially).

Problem 1: If anything happens to the Multi and I have to restart of switch off or update ESS settings on VE Config I cannot get the Multi to accept AC input voltage. It reads the voltage and displays a nice 233V on AC-in L1 but Active AC Input shows Disconnected. When i turn on the system it goes through the following steps:

I switch the switch to position 1 and soon after the Inverter On comes on and then one hears a internal relay switching a few times. Then after 30 seconds or so there is a loudish click and inverter switches off, after a minute it switches on and process repeats. Eventually it stays on but Main On does not come on and I have no AC input to the system.

This is now the 4th time this is happening to me and it seems to have come right on its own somehow the last few times. I suspected corrupted firmware and reloaded it via VE Config the last time and when I looked again it was working. Co-incidentally the problem occurred while I was downloading the VE Config file to make some charge voltage changes (this coincidence is just too big)

What info do I need to post here to clarify this issue?

Problem 2: Every day I get a high voltage alarm on my BMV. Also I noticed the alarm when I was busy trying to restart my system from the AC input issue.

My settings are as follows:

BMV (Battery)

Capacity 120Ah
Charged Voltage new 56.8V (old 57.6V) (3.5625V/cell) {58.4V (3.65V/cell)}
Discharge Floor 10%
Tail Current 4%
Charged Detection time 3m
Peukert 1.05
Efficiency 0.99
Current Threshold 0.10 A
Time to go averaging 3m

MPPT (Battery)

Voltage 48V
Max charge 70A
Charge Voltages:
Absorption new 56.8 V (old 57.6 V)
Float 56.8 V (old 54 V)
Equalization 55.2 V (Old 54.4 V)
Auto Equal Disabled
Temp Compensation -64.80 mV/ยฐC

Cerbo (VRM Online)

Multiplus Remote VE Config File

General:
AC input limit 50 A
tick Enable battery monitor
State of charge when bulk finished 95.0 %
Battery Capacity 120 Ah
Charge Efficiency 0.95

Inverter:
Output Voltage 230 V
DC input shutdown 45.0 V
DC input low restart 50.0 V (Old 51 V)
DC input low pre alarm 45.5 V

Charger:
tick Enable charger
untick Weak AC input
tick Lithium batteries
Charge curve [Fixed]
Absorb Voltage 56.8 V (Old 57.6 V)
Float 56.8 V (Old 54 V)
Charge Current 30 A

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1594043029844.png (24.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jaaksza avatar image jaaksza commented ยท

Seems like this problem is still going relatively unsolved. I did rectify it by turning it all off and then on again. :-)
I decided that since it is not working I would switch my transfer switch back to grid and completely shut down the system. I was actually just really unhappy.

I did take this opportunity to do a good balance on my 16 LiFePo cells with my VERY SLOW active balancer.

When I turned it all back on in the morning the system synced with grid supply and all is working since then. Would be very useful to find this problem and solve it once and for all.

The daily high voltage alarm is another issue but lets see how the system performs over the next week. I should be adding a few more panels over the weekend. Yippeee

0 Likes 0 ยท
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ยท

@JaaksZA

Is this from generator specifically? Sometimes it is not the voltage so much as the frequency. Are you set to accept a wide frequency range?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I have no generator just grid power

Updates: There are no error codes besides High Voltage and AC input failure when I turn off the AC input

0 Likes 0 ยท
lklmenterprises avatar image
lklmenterprises answered ยท

Did you fully program the Multi II before commissioning? Do you get the same issue when it is set to Charge Only (i.e. not inverting...)

Also is the system active in VRM? You should be able to see the Frequency of the AC input over time, make sure it matches the defined values within veconfig and is stable, otherwise the Multi may have trouble matching. Try changing some of the Configuration settings in VeConfig, such as disabling UPS and so on.

Also make sure you have the appropriate GRID settings, the Multi-II comes wiht the extra relay to conform with AS4777 - there is a chance this is tripping based on poor AC signal, and performing an AC Isolation.

1 comment
2 |3000

It was fully programmed by installer before commissioning. I am set to South Africa GRID settings.
My GRID supply is surprisingly quite stable lately and the voltage and frequency is very close to specification.

Will carry on tinkering with some settings, just have to research each one before I change it.
Will check the outcome when set to charge only. I am just a bit nervous to mess with anything right now as it is working again. For how long? Who knows?

0 Likes 0 ยท