question

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman asked

Victron & Helioscope

I've been working with the guys at Helioscope to try and improve their support for Victron products.

I need some help from team Victron to try and get this right.

I sent them the datasheets for the Multis and Quattros and asked for them to be added. They replied:

"Given the number of optimizer/inverter combinations it will take a long time for us to upload each combination."

I replied with:

"You will see that all of the MPPTs / Charge Controllers / Optimisers / DC - DC Converters / Whatever we want to call them have an efficiency of 98%.

So, with the exception of the EasySolars which have the MPPTs built in, I would create one profile for each MultiPlus and Quattro.

That should not be more than about 10-15 profiles.

But list them as follows:

MultiPlus II 5kVA (4000W) 48V via Victron MPPT (98%)

Then take the specific inverter efficiency, in this case 96% and times by the 98% and get 94.08% overall.

Another example:

MultiPlus II 3kVA (2400W) 48V via Victron MPPT (98%)

95% * 98% = 93.1% overall."

They responded:

"Yes, that is how we would handle the efficiency, but still given the large number, there end up being hundreds of combinations, so if you can give us the first handful to start with, we can begin there.

Also, does Victron have a version of their datasheet with 'average' efficiency? All I see listed here are "max" efficiency values, but that will not capture their performance over a day/year."

I believe in their first comment they have misunderstood my suggestion. I am suggesting that they add only as many devices as there are Multis or Quattros because the MPPT component can be assumed to be the same for each, regardless of model.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is my assumption that the efficiency of *any* Victron MPPT can be assumed using a constant against a pairing with any Multi or Quattro?

2. Can Victron answer to an "average efficiency" that we can use as this constant instead of the "max" figure in the documentation.

Note related post: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/34079/helioscope-victron-product-database.html by @Anton de Swardt

cc
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jon Hodson avatar image Jon Hodson commented ·

Take it there's no feedback on this as yet..?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @warwick,

Sorry for not responding to this at the time, I didn't know then, and I still don't know now.

I don't have single average efficiency figure, and that is a bit of a non-sensical term to me because at one end (no load), the efficiency is 0% - making it a bit hard to get an average dividing by 0.

Have a look at section 3 here though - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Output-rating-operating-temperature-and-efficiency.pdf

That is the closest there is to the published data available for efficiency across the power range - but I don't know how that can help you with an 'average' number to give to Helioscope?

I have spoken to them before about getting Victron equipment listed, and I think we came to the conclusion that their service is not built for a product range and applications of Victron.

Not the answer you want from a manufacturer and software vendor, but I think your knowledge exceeds both of ours respectively in how to make these things fit together.

I have never had cause to use their software, so I don't fully understand how it works or what the 'safe assumptions'. I have asked internally previously for additional support for it, and while I don't remember the exact answer, I don't think there is a compelling case to allocate any R&D people to see it though, and then be responsible for making sure it is kept up to date.

As always though, your efforts to move the ball forward through your own efforts and initiative are welcome and appreciated.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jon Hodson avatar image Jon Hodson commented ·

That's a pity.

Both companies are sure to benefit, yet not willing to work towards it...

Just about every other inverter brand is in the Helio library...

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·