question

Jan Viehweger avatar image
Jan Viehweger asked

mppt does not match max peak

Hi,

can someone tell me why my mppt 150/100’s gui does not correspond with the maximum peak power value which is 880Wp (2x4x110Wp) in my case. The circle in the screenshot looks like that it‘s like less than 50% of the max reachable value. The mppt was used with an 1.100Wp system before. Could that be the reason? If so, do i have to reset the history or loading the factory defaults?

Thanks for your help!

Jan

MPPT SmartSolarVenus OS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The maths for he PV array output, and the battery input are very similar.

PV array output. 66.09 x 10.5 = 693w.

Battery input. 13.55 x 50.01 = 678w.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Jan Viehweger

You are also producing 691W of your 880W potential so that is great.

The way the graph is showing the wattage as a part of the potential of the mppt not your array. Or at least that is the way I have understood it.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Jan Viehweger

Your mppt has no memory which would affect it's current or future performance. So no point 'resetting' it.

Maybe look to your solar (weather) conditions, panels clean, very hot, etc?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jan Viehweger avatar image
Jan Viehweger answered ·

Mayby my question was misleading. The thing i‘m wondering is the graph representation. not the numbers. 691 of 880 is like 78%. But the graph shows something like less than 50%.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

880w is like optimal conditions..

Good sun (no cloud,haze/shade) at optimal 90d angle, sun to panel...

25c cell temperature..

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Alexandra is onto it. Your mppt will be rated like 1450W at (say) 14.5V, and the graph is likely showing a % of that. It may change depending on the batt V at the time, dunno, but you can check that.

0 Likes 0 ·
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

Its possible your Victron Connect display is reacting to the settings for the system it was connected to prior. The unit does have settings in memory that affect voltage, charge rate, etc that need to be set to the battery type and capacity you are using with it to work properly.

I wouldn’t reset, as factory default settings might be farther off than you are now. But I would certainly change the settings to match the battery pack you are currently charging. Then see if your display corrects.

One thing’s certain... having the correct settings in your SmartSolar won’t hurt a thing!

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic