question

nico avatar image
nico asked

What voltage should the Victron lithium Battery cells be at full charge?

I got some good energy today based off this image

Looks like my mppt charge controller never left bulk charging however.

I just got myself some lithium batteries and have some questions....

what should the individual cells be at full charge? Is there a way to know how much capacity % is left in the batteries? And why did my mppt charger never go into a float mode to tell me batteries are full..... did my batteries not fully charge today? Is 5+ kwh enough to charge 2x 200ah batteries??

I'm trying to determine if I'm charging the batteries correctly, and how to know basically how much energy is needed to be full, or how much energy is left before empty on the batteries.

pic below is battery parameters on the mppt solar charger.

battery capacity
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nico avatar image nico commented ยท

Question on these terms.... is "battery current" the amps flowing into battery or out? Is there a way to see amps flowing out of battery?

Really looking to see state of charge on batteries.... how much power to full charge, how much power is left.....amps coming in, amps going out.... etc. is this possible?

Also, if anyone knows about the multiplus inverter charger, does the multi work with the Bluetooth app? Or just through computer with the mk3 to usb adapter?

0 Likes 0 ยท
dazey77 avatar image dazey77 nico commented ยท

I think what you are looking for is adding one of the battery monitors!

E.g. Smartshunt or BMV-712

0 Likes 0 ยท
2 Answers
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ยท

200AH victron battery is 2560Wh acording to specs, so if you have no other loads on the system it should have fully charged the batteries but not by a big margin so if there are other loads I would expect it to go in float today!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sure did! Thanks, I also think yesterday I had my fridge running on electric vs propane.... so I may have used more power yesterday than today.

I'm looking to add a battery monitor to see if I can in real time see my amps coming out of battery, and % state of charge.....

I think I can live with the victron smart shunt battery monitor because I don't need a screen, I just want to read that info via Bluetooth app

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

Hi @nicvazquez@gmail.com, welcome to the Community! Please read and abide by the Community Guidelines while here, as that will make all of our jobs easier - in this case, specifically the "one question per post" rule is the particularly relevant one here, since multiple questions in a post make it exceptionally difficult to keep track of which questions are still open and which have been resolved.

That being said, first: @dazey77 is correct, you will require a properly connected and programmed shunt-based battery monitor like the BMV-712 or SmartShunt to know the SOC of your batteries; you cannot use voltage as a means of estimating SOC of an LFP bank.

Second, the VE.Bus Smart Dongle for the MultiPlus will allow you to see very basic information about what the Multi is doing via BT, and allow you to: switch the Multi between On, Off, Charger Only, and Inverter Only modes; and it will also allow you to adjust the AC Input Current Limit through BT connection.

All programming of the Multi, however, must be completed via wired connection through an MK3-USB Interface or through the VRM using Remote VE.Config if you have an internet-connected GX device on the system.

Finally, I'm hopeful that you have a Victron BMS on your batteries, as is required, and that you followed Section 3.2 of the user manual and made sure to fully charge each battery individually with a low rate of charge prior to connecting them to your system?

3 comments
2 |3000

I did! I used my mppt charger at 20 amps to equalize the cells, it's now programed to limit to 75 amps now that they are balanced, i have the ve bus bms and the bus mains detector on my system, pic below,

I used the mk3 to usb to program the multiplus with the bms in the configure software.

I think I would be happy with a battery monitor and BT, I'll look into ordering those up. Thanks for the help folks!

0 Likes 0 ยท

Battery monitor 712 vs 700? With my system would one work better than the other? And if I can live without a physical monitor, would the smartshunt battery monitor work for me? 400ah worth of victron lithium bank... Sorry for follow up question, but I think it applies to batteries.... thanks in advance.

I'm looking to order up a battery monitor and the ve bus smart dongle for the multiplus asap.

Unrelated, but I'll be adding a smart battery protect bp-100 to my 12 v circuits as well. So I'm looking at 3 more lil purchases :^)

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ nico commented ยท

Sorry @nicvazquez@gmail.com, I'm about 6x busier at work than usual, so it's tough getting back here and keeping up with comments!

Yes, I believe the SmartShunt will work perfectly for you, since you mention you don't need a screen. Keep in mind that, since the BT module is on the shunt and the shunt installs at the batteries, your BT range -depending on where your batteries are installed- may be shorter than you'd expect. That's one of the things the BMV-712 has over the SmartShunt, since the -712's BT module is in the display head and, therefore, tends to be up inside the cabin area and thus easier to access.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic