question

ab53 avatar image
ab53 asked

Very Hot Battery Charger !

G’day & thanks for your help. I have just installed a new Blue Smart IP22 12volt 30 Amp battery charger but i’m very concerned with the heat of the metal base plate. I literally cannot hold my fingers on it for longer then a few seconds while bulk charging a single 12v 100 amp/h lithium LiFePO battery.

It’s installed flat but with a 20 mm air gap underneath in a well ventilated cupboard (door open & top vent). The cables to the battery are only just warm to the touch, the unit seems to operate just fine otherwise. The AC supply is from a Honda EU 20i generator. Should it get THAT hot ?

charger
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

supermanbaja avatar image supermanbaja commented ·
mine does the same. 64c after running for 20 min. this doesn't seam normal to me.
0 Likes 0 ·
cpt-pat avatar image cpt-pat commented ·

I have the same issue with two of these chargers. The case is VERY hot even when running at 50% charge current (15 amps setting with 30 amp charger) and HOTTER when running at full output (30 amps). At full output (30 amps), I don't hear a fan or feel any airflow. The case is alarmingly hot.

How hot should the case be in a 20 C ambient environment? Are both units defective? Do I need to add an external fan and epoxy some heatsinks to the case?

0 Likes 0 ·
drdiesel avatar image drdiesel commented ·
I'm not disagreeing they run hot, but they are designed to handle the heat and will self throttle on high temps. I own several 250/100s and I installed them on an aluminum plate each with a 140mm fan blowing toward the heatsinks, problem solved.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
1 Answer
n-dee avatar image
n-dee answered ·

I've got smart-solar chargers but same here - they have over 60c

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic