question

bora avatar image
bora asked

install the venusOS/node-red on my VenusGX

I'm trying to install the venusOS/node-red on my VenusGX (Serial is HQ1837XXXX)

I've just tried to change the partition on my VenusGX but it's now stuck with a slow green flashing light and I can't access it via Bluetooth or throught the LAN cable, i keep getting IP addresses like 169.254.125.205.

I got as far as installing the latest image, the light goes solid green, so i eject the card and then unplug the power then plug it back in, when it finishes with red/green light cycle it just sits on slow flash green.

Node-RED
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bora avatar image bora commented ·

the image I downloaded was "venus-install-sdcard-beaglebone-20200604130707-v2.60~26"

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Bora,

Firstly, be assured that you’ll always be able to maken it work again - eventually. But might take some back and forth if you don’t have any experience with this.

Few questions/remarks first:

- bluetooth was not and is not supposed to work.

- what do you mean with “ i keep getting IP addresses like 169.254.125.205.”? On what device do you get that ip address? Be aware that the Venus GX does not run a dhcp server on its LAN port. Have you ever connected on LAN before? Or is this (after running the installer) the first time you are doing that?

- Have you tried to run VictronConnect to see if it can find the Venus GX on your LAN network?

Then, you said you ran the v2.60~26 install image. Why not the one as recommended here in Appendix A? Did you follow another set of instructions (that I forgot to remove?)

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:extended#appendix_a_-_repartitioning_venus_gx_flash_memory

lastly, for LED definitions, see here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-gx:start#leds

hope that helps!

12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bora avatar image bora commented ·

I was connected with LAN before to do the initial SuperUser configuration using the Remote Console.....I think....although maybe it was through the wifi as the address was 192.168.1.102.

I have the new installer image (venus-install-sdcard-beaglebone-20200615132321-v2.60~28) on the Venus GX now and it is flashing a green light.

The IP address over the LAN connection is now 169.254.149.217, when i enter that on the browser I can't view the remote console anymore to enable the SuperUser and SSL again and continue with the installation.

0 Likes 0 ·
bora avatar image bora bora commented ·

I can't see the Venus Wifi network and nothing shows on the Victron Connect app.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ bora commented ·

Hi, then next step is to find out where your problem lies. Ie. check if your laptop can ping the venus gx. Ie that the network configuration on the laptop ok and are they in the same network.

or post a picture of what you see when typing that ip address in the browser to go to remote console.

Btw. how do you know that that is the ip address of the venus gx?

0 Likes 0 ·
bora avatar image bora mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I get nothing when trying to ping the address and nothing when I type that address in the browser.

The IP address is the one that is assigned when I connect the Venus to my laptop using the Ethernet cable.

I go to network settings and check the IP on the Ethernet connection information on my MacBook.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ bora commented ·

Its sounds like that ip address is the address of your laptop. Not of the GX device.

0 Likes 0 ·

I tried via windows and I now have the IP address and can access the Remote Console.

I'll keep going with the install instructions and see how I get on.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction :)

0 Likes 0 ·

welcome! godo to hear it solved.

1 Like 1 ·

I had the signalK server up and running but now I can't access it for some reason. I can access the remote console via 192.168.1.102 but cannot get the signalK on venus.local:3300, or 192.168.1.102:3300.

I've tried a reboot of the venusGX and cycled the server option in services off/on

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi you asked the same question elsewhere and I think it was also answered then. I’ll remove this one later

0 Likes 0 ·

i had tried :3000 not :3300, it was a typo.

0 Likes 0 ·
bora avatar image bora bora commented ·

tried reinstalling everything but still no luck.

0 Likes 0 ·

I put the venus-install-sdcard-beaglebone-20200615132321-v2.60~28 image on the VenusGX again and then installed venus-swu-beaglebone-20200617193807-v2.60_28-large-image-5.swu.

The node-red is now working again but still nothing with the SignalK both are enabled.) I did a port scan and the following ports are showing;

Open TCP Port: 22 ssh

Open TCP Port: 80 http

Open TCP Port: 81 hosts2-ns

Open TCP Port: 1880 vsat-control

Open TCP Port: 7890

Open TCP Port: 42129

0 Likes 0 ·
bora avatar image
bora answered ·

I had the signalK server up and running but now I can't access it for some reason. I can access the remote console via 192.168.1.102 but cannot get the signalK on venus.local:3300, or 192.168.1.102:3300.

I've tried a reboot of the venusGX and cycled the server option in services off/on

2 comments
2 |3000

Scott Bender avatar image Scott Bender commented ·

The port number should be 3000, not 3300.

0 Likes 0 ·
bora avatar image bora Scott Bender commented ·

Sorry, it was 3000 that I was trying.

0 Likes 0 ·