question

florent avatar image
florent asked

Why is my MPPT output changing over time?

Hello,

Since the update at the beginning of April of the Android application of Victronconnect which updated the firmware of my 2 Victron regulators (v1.5), I notice erratic behavior, although I have the latest version 2.25 to date.

Presentation of the installation:

- I have 2 panels of 130W in 12V in parallel on my roof coupled to a 100/30.

- 1 panel of 100W 12V "mobil" with a 75/15 regulator

- 2 batteries of 90Ah in 12V connected in parallel on which the 2 regulators are connected in parallel.

In February following the installation of the 75/15 and the mobile 100W, my whole installation worked perfectly, the roof panels and the mobile worked together, with peaks at 100W on the mobil (perfect orientation in the sun), and surroundings 150W on the roof (because in winter and flat).

The 100W panel and the 75/15 being sometimes sufficient in floating, the "victron connect" network cut "(0W) even the 100/30 regulator and only turned it on when I was using my water pump, or my computer, because power demand greater than 100W. So, everything it's normal way.

Since the April update, the roof panels can go up to 260W currently but the 100W mobile never exceeds 25W / 30W approximately, whether my 100/30 regulator is activated or not (simulating the fact that I am totally at shade) and those even with batteries at 12.4V in the early morning.

I obviously checked the material before coming to you:

- Changed regulator (SAV) thinking that the problem came from him (new for 2 weeks)

- Changed connectors and cables

- Tested with other solar panels (100W in 12V, in 36V, 200W in 24V etc ...)

No significant change, all panels remain flanged within 30W on the 75/15 regulator.

I also went to see a motorhome dealer who did not understand either, the panels having been tested and all in function according to the labels on their back.

This is why I came to the conclusion that there is a firmware problem.

Would it be possible to send me the firmware in effect at the end of January that I downgrade those of my regulators (from the tab: "firmware library") because all my installation which worked perfectly, and has been verified by a professional, and which has not changed since the update in early April (v5.20 (Released officially) from 2020-04-06) which caused this erratism behavior.

In addition, we meet another German family with substantially the same installation has exactly the same problems as me with a mobile panel of 100W in 36V never exceeding 35W with the roof panels in the shade.

Attached:

- screen of the 2 Victronconnects with erratic behaviors (100/30 ON and 75/15 OFF, 100/30 OFF and 75/15 ON, 100/30 ON and 75/15 ON),

- screen of the 2 regulators with serial number to have the old versions of the corresponding firmware.

thank you,

Florent

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ยท

Looking at your screen shots, you are using panels with only 32 cells. Please read the Manual.

mppt-cell.jpg (144.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

florent avatar image
florent answered ยท

Ok, but why the solar panel with 75/15 regulator work perfectly since few months and after the upgrade in beginning of April he have a erratic behavior ?

And why when I test with a solar panel 100W in 36V and 200W in 24V have the same problem ?

Perhaps there is a problem of number of cells, but with this change there is problem of firmware who change the behavior of the regulators.

If the regulators never works with this solar panel, I will be agree with you, but it's the half answer of my problem...

Isn't it?

4 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

why the solar panel with 75/15 regulator work perfectly since few months and after the upgrade in beginning of April he have a erratic behavior ?

Lower ambient temps give higher Vmp for solar panels. Seasons change, and now your panels are hotter their Vmp is lower......

0 Likes 0 ยท
florent avatar image florent klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

Yeah, I think you are the good answer... but my neighbor have a 100W in 36V, with only 24 cells a priori, so the tension between the battery and the solar panel have a very high voltage difference and it's pretty the same, just 10/15W more than me, around 45W...

https://www.offgridtec.com/en/generators/solar-modules/flexible-solar-modules/offgridtec-pcb-etfe-100w-36v-semiflexibles-solarpanel.html

So with all flexible solar panel in 100W it's impossible in the summer to recharge 12V battery because they don't have more than 36 cells ???

0 Likes 0 ยท
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ florent commented ยท

Each of the 24 cells has been cut into 3 smaller cells. They are then soldered up as a 72 cell panel.

0 Likes 0 ยท
florent avatar image florent klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

Ok, but why they don't work in this case because if he have 72 small cells it's perfect for a mppt regulator !? He never see 100W on his solar panel, and generally around 45/50W, he never climb in absorption phase, only bulk since he buy it in the middle of April...

It's very strange, I just want to understand the logical because my knowledge isn't enough in electrics.

Because if I order a 12V flexible solar panel with 36 cells to recharge my battery when I park under the shadow, because the temperature it's very hot here, it's sure that the regulator use 100W and not just 30W ? Or the flexible solar panel it's just ok in the winter when the temperature it's cold...

Thanks a lot to take time to answer me, I could be crazy with this story...

0 Likes 0 ยท