question

outsourcedguru avatar image
outsourcedguru asked

Correct battery capacity for BMV-712 Smart initial setup

My system includes a Victron BMV-712 Smart voltage monitor and four 225AH 6V batteries in series/parallel so as to provide 12V to the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/100 controller. The initial setup for the BMV-712 asked for battery capacity but I was unsure at this point what value to include.

• Should that have been 225AH like I input earlier? (I'm guessing that this is wrong.)
  • Should it be 225 * 2 = 450AH?
  • Should it be 225 * 4 = 900AH?

More specs on the batteries...

BMV Battery Monitor
img-0303.jpg (2.2 MiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The negative wire from the mppt is on the wrong side of the shunt...

0 Likes 0 ·
outsourcedguru avatar image outsourcedguru klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I assumed that the top side of the shunt was "across the load". So the inverter spans that gap. But are you sure that the MPPT itself also is across the shunt for the voltage monitor? (Thanks.)

0 Likes 0 ·
outsourcedguru avatar image outsourcedguru outsourcedguru commented ·

For what it's worth, I moved the black wire from the MPPT from the bottom of the shunt to the top (per klim's suggestion). Upon starting everything back,

• state of charge: 100%
  • consumed Ah: 0.0Ah
  • time remaining: Infinite
  • solar (mid-day): ~250W
  • virtual load output, state: On (don't remember what it was earlier)
  • relay, state: Open (earlier, pretty sure it ready Closed)
  • max battery voltage: 20.42V (this seems higher)
  • max starter voltage: 21.03V (and this)
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Gregory Cavanagh avatar image
Gregory Cavanagh answered ·

It will be 450AH, as 2 will be in series to increase the voltage, and 2 will be in parallel to increase the amp hours

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.