question

dzl avatar image
dzl asked

How is "recommended number of cells in series for highest controller efficiency" (section 3.3 of smartsolar manual) determined?

I would like to understand the math or logic behind these recommendations. I understand that 'cells in series' is shorthand for operating voltage.

I assume that this calculation is a balance between maximizing voltage differential to optimize MPPT performance in less-ideal conditions, and minimizing voltage differential to optimize DC-DC conversion efficiency. Is this correct?

The recommendations only deal with 36 and 72 cell panels, I would like to understand the math/logic behind these recommendations so I can understand how it applies to 60 cell panels and 96 cell panels, etc.

For instance for a 24v battery, Victron recommends 144 cells in series. Would 120 cells or 96 cells be less ideal?

system designsolar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
dzl avatar image
dzl answered ·

Relevant section from the manual:

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic