question

tojohn avatar image
tojohn asked

Multiplus 24/3000 120vac overload thresholds

I have an off grid multiplus 24/3000 120vac in a workshop and frequently trigger overload warnings with motorized tools. The inverter has shut down when a 15a air compressor tried to start (GX shows 1200-1500W when that 15a compressor does run - it doesnt always cause shutdown), but other equally rated tools start/run fine. Of course I understand that the single phase motors can have a high initial power requirement, but it seems that the overload is triggered too often even on much smaller motors. What is the alarm threshold for this inverter, and is it possible to log the short-duration wattage to help plan for and accommodate these tools with a larger inverter? I am surprised that this inverter is not handling the surge. I have run the same tools with a smaller pseudo-sine inverter. Battery bank is 6x 100ah agm batteries with 4/0 cables. No circuit breakers are tripping. AC circuit wiring is 12AWG and inverter/panel connections are 6AWG.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I was unable to find more than the 3000 cont/6000 max numbers in the manual, and no option for logging more than the error itself. I’ll be most interested to add anyone else’s findings to my repertoire!

The reason I‘m answering here is something I do know of which might help. Often when electric motors or devices with large inrush currents start, it’s the capacitors loading up that cause the high current, so your issue may be more the momentary current spike than the wattage overloading the inverter. This would also explain why some similarly rated devices that don’t have the same starting circuitry don’t set it to alarm or shut down.

You may try a “soft start” limiter on your air compressor to lower/limit the inrush current so that the inverter doesn’t see such a spike. As I haven’t done this with an inverter, it’s a hypothetical solution. But it does work on a similar issue of tripping breakers in a standard shop wiring scenario.

I venture this as one possibility for you. Sorry I don’t have a better solution/more direct answer on the default settings!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.