question

shorty avatar image
shorty asked

Can Victron MPPT be used to profile/charge a 24v 7s14p li-ion battery with AC-DC power source.

At the moment I am looking for a charger that can supply a lithium profile to charge a 7s14p battery at 30a/29.4v.

I have other options in mind but I was wondering if it is possible with the following set up:

AC240v to DC60v20a to MPPT 100/30

Can an MPPT do this? Take a constant voltage and apply an output profile?

If so it would represent good value for a charger of this capacity.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This has worked well for me. I used a bench power supply going into the PV input.
The only thing must observe is that the maximum PV input Voltage is not exceeded, the MPPT will take as much as it can until it reaches its output current limit or the power limit of the bench power supply.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shorty avatar image shorty commented ·

Thats really good to know, thanks!

I would be using a 60v20a PSU, so well within the limits of the 100/30.

Is there anything that the MPPT controllers don't do that the Victron chargers do do? Other than multiple outputs?

It just seems unusual to me that you can purchase an MPPT which can have a charge output all the way up to 100A where their smart dedicated chargers top out at 25A.

0 Likes 0 ·
shorty avatar image
shorty answered ·

Just to confirm, is the MPPT charge profile fully customisable for any type of battery chemistry?

2 |3000