question

L G avatar image
L G asked

I wired my BMV712 wrong. Did I damage it?

Yikes, I just realized when looking at my wiring that I think I wired my BMV wrong. The shunt needs to be flipped correct? See attached. Also how do I set it up in the BMV setup? I have two 12V 105ah Lithium batteries in series. Do I enter 1 - 24V battery 105ah?

BMV Battery Monitor
img-9953.jpg (1.7 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Hi @Lo G,

It looks like your unit is installed backwards, see the screen print on the BMV that labels which terminal to connect to the battery - , and which to connect to the load - :

This will not damage the unit, but it will not behave as expected.

You are correct with the battery sizing, adding batteries in series increases the voltage, but not Amp Hour capacity. More info about that in Wiring Unlimited.

It would also be a very good idea to secure your cables so there isn't any tension on the lugs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

naturalsolares avatar image
naturalsolares answered ยท

Hi @Lo G,

instead of turning the shunt around,

you can also flip the small pcb on the shunt around, same result

1 comment
2 |3000

L G avatar image L G commented ยท

Good call. Thank you. Also, how do I find the right BMV settings for 2 - 12V Lion Energy batteries in series? I'm assuming I make it 210ah (2 x 105ah) and what about the rest of the settings?

0 Likes 0 ยท