question

lars-sandved avatar image
lars-sandved asked

BMV-712 Showing zero current

Hi all,

I've installed my BMV-712 and the current reading doesn't seem to be sending or working at all. I'm just getting zero current (and therefore zero consumed Ah). The voltage is sending fine and I know the current is passing through since the systems are all working.

I've made sure I have all the loads on the load side of the shunt, with only the one cable from the battery side going to the battery negative.

I've tried isolating the battery and re-calibrating the current to zero, but no dice. I've also tried restoring to factory settings a few times and still no current reading.

Is there anything I'm not thinking about, or that I could check to isolate the problem? Any ideas? Or did I just get unlucky and have a faulty PCB?

Thank you for your help!

Lars

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Hi @Lars Sandved,

Two things would be very helpful to assist with troubleshooting a problem like this, 1. a system wiring diagram, and 2. photos of the installation showing the connections.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lars-sandved avatar image lars-sandved commented ยท

Hi Guy, thanks for the response. Asking for the wiring diagram really helped me out, forced me to really think about what I've got. And turns out, unsurprisingly, I was misunderstanding something. A cable I thought was going to nothing, was actually going the common ground. So all current was bypassing the shunt. Now rewired and its all in working order! Thanks for the push

0 Likes 0 ยท
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ lars-sandved commented ยท

Success! I'll convert my comment to an Answer :)

0 Likes 0 ยท