question

jamesw avatar image
jamesw asked

Adding portable solar

I have a single 120 watt solar panel mounted on the roof of my caravan running to a Victron 100/20 MPPT solar controller. I wish to add 160watts of portable solar panels for when the caravan is parked in shade, to keep charging my onboard battery. Can I just run these to the 100/20 controller with is rated to 20 amps and 290watts or is another solar controller the best option? The total amps for all the panels is 15amps in perfect conditions. I am unlikely to get to that figure.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @JamesW

Yes, you could parallel in extra panels, providing they're fairly well matched with their Vmp. If both are "12V" panels then would be ok if Vmp is within a V or 2.

Not sure where you're getting that 15A from, maybe panel specs? Your 20A mppt is rated at Vbat, so at 14V, matches your rated panel 280W well. At (say) 13Vbat, which could easily happen with a load on, you'll get 260W.

Try it, should work ok.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.