question

stephenb avatar image
stephenb asked

VE.Bus Mains Detector Installation For Multiplus 800

We have a Victron Multiplus 12 800 35. And the BMS came with a little dongle called the VE.Bus Mains Detector. I understand what this device is means to do. But the manual is only for the larger Multiplus models. I'm assuming that I attach the UTC cables together, that's easy. But the positive and negative cables (1 set-the other we will cut) will just go into the AC in 'plug' along with the AC in wires? (so that they are clamped with a screw together--see image)

Did I get this right?

VE.Bus
ac-detector.png (2.6 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stephenb avatar image stephenb commented ·

Does anyone have any input?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
solarsean avatar image
solarsean answered ·

Surprised nobody has addressed this yet, but I have a good idea why. The mains detector is a requirement for Victron Multiplus installations to tie into grid power, and be aware of when power is lost so it can kick in. This and it's ESS feature is very rarely used in the US, since we don't yet use most to tie to the grid.

Do you plan to tie the 800VA inverter to the grid?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kaspar avatar image
kaspar answered ·

Hi stephenb, did you have any luck with this? I'm doing the same installation and was unsure about the AC/mains detector. Also the manual VE.Bus BMS (3.2) says:

Inverters (DC to AC only) with VE.Bus can be connected directly to the MultiPlus/Quattro input of the BMS, no AC Detector or assistant needed.

But I guess that is not relevant for Multiplus 800, since it is a charger/inverter, not an inverter only?

2 |3000

Related Resources