question

hoverjocki avatar image
hoverjocki asked

MPPT 100/30 low charging

I recently did the mppt update but not sure if it’s causing problems.

Im showing 30+ volts from my panels but only 1 amp charging from each.
i have 2x370W panels, independent from each other on their own mppt 100/30 controller using 6 gauge cable 25’ long with a blueseas 30amp circuit breaker between the panels and their controllers. They are networked with a BMV702 with dongle.

Am I missing something ?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Hoverjocki

Maybe you're missing some sunlight. 7:24am is a little early to be blaming firmware updates.

What happened later, those shots are from Wednesday?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jnh avatar image
jnh answered ·

I’m experiencing the same issue with both my Smart Solar MPPT 100/30 and 75/15 controllers in full sun, no shading. My array consists of a 175W Solbien MerlinSR+ connected to the Smart Solar MPPT 75/15 and a 175W&78W in series connected to the MPPT 100/30. Seems total power output across the system has dropped to a fraction of its previous capacity since updating firmware.

Any suggestions as to why this is occurring or anyone else experiencing this?

2 |3000

ve7mmg avatar image
ve7mmg answered ·

I am having similar issues, did you ever solve the problem?

Mike

2 |3000

sulo28 avatar image
sulo28 answered ·

I looks like either no one in the community knows or Victron doesn't care. Either way, I guess I'm replacing with Renogy.

2 |3000

coaster avatar image
coaster answered ·

Doing some research after putting a full set of Victron stuff in my cart. (Orion TrSmart, Smartsolar 100/30, SmallBMS, BP's, batteries, etc.

I keep running into threads like this with issues and then crickets. (One of which I posted myself on the SmallBMS/inverter/SmartBP combo.)

I get that high tech products can have teething problems, and that Victron encourages the use of this Community. But I keep searching and finding threads that just go on and on with the same problem being repeated over and over and no resolution. I like blue, and the app is really slick but it seems like a certain amount of luck is involved because if you have a problem there's nothing (unless another user has stumbled upon a fix and posts it). That's so depressing.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@sulo28 @Coaster

'Crickets'? I answered this post long ago, and even though the poster provided good info, I asked for a little more. He never returned to pursue it and I presume he worked it out. (this issue could be caused by many things).

The answer was never 'Accepted'. Nobody can know if it was right or not. (I could do that, but I never Accept my own posts.)

And for others to coattail with 'I have this same issue' isn't fair. Their problem won't have the same screenshots, and may have an entirely different cause. Best to ask a fresh question, provide as much pertinent info as you can, then await a response. Which for mppts will invariably come, as there are many here capable of answering them.

There are also repeat issues like 'Why doesn't my BMV show correct SOC'? And of course many sufferers haven't read the manual. Hard to answer. And tedious.

Rest assured that repeat issues are indeed discussed at a higher level, and addressed with priority as necessary.

To head off and purchase some other brand by what you mistakenly perceive here isn't warranted. Some have learnt that the hard way..

1 comment
2 |3000

coaster avatar image coaster commented ·
I'm relieved to know that what I thought was happening in this thread is not true. Thanks for letting me know. I certainly don't want to make a mistake by buying something else and learning the hard way.

(That said, I don't know that other brands are always ominously bad. My current Morningstar MPPT controller has been in use daily since 2014 and no problems. Why would I think of changing then? Because the Victron looks like it could be even better in a couple of specific ways: I need a Windows computer to adjust the M. controller, and I'm a Mac user so that's a hassle. Also, I like that with the Victron 100/30 I can - as I understand it - coordinate it with my Victron BMV to terminate charging using Tail Current. That seems a lot better than just setting a time for absorption).

Anyway, thanks for letting me know that you are responsive to issues. That's something I value highly when I'm choosing a component (and can be hard to find these days).

0 Likes 0 ·