question

landuytg avatar image
landuytg asked

Will the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC work with the new vehicles?

How does the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC work with the new vehicles that have 5 or 6 different charging profiles. For the most part if the battery is topped off the charging system cuts back to 13.6 volts. If you are charging LiFePO4 batteries that require 14.4 volts how does it do that when charging system is at 13.6 volts?

Greg

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@LanduytG, like all reputable DC-DC chargers with which I'm familiar, the Orion-Tr Smart has a buck/boost converter inside to allow it to step up or down the input voltage (within limits) so that it can correctly output the appropriate voltage as programmed.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fenix avatar image fenix commented ยท

well in case it does not do that

Hello

i have install today the new Dc-Dc isolated 30 amp

here's my setup

Truck battery - guage2 wire 25' - breaker 80amp - , gauge 8 wire 2 ' - battelborn 2x100

i purchase this unit to increase the voltage and have 30 amp to recharge the Battleborn

Lipo battery need more than 13.6 to charge

so far i was not able to get good voltage on the camper batteries

- the Bluetooth signal is not good. Compare to my other unit (all at the same place)

- what setting should be done to get higher voltage?

example

truck alternator is at 14.5

output is a 13.3

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ fenix commented ยท

@fenix, double-check your charger settings - make sure it's in charger mode rather than power supply mode, and make sure the charge profile is set properly in the unit. Be aware that obviously you won't immediately see 14.4, for instance, at the battery terminals because of course the battery resistance is pulling down the charger's voltage.

I will also note that wire run from your start battery to the charger is netting you around ~2.68% voltage drop into the charger even with the 2ga; not critical, but less than ideal.

0 Likes 0 ยท
fenix avatar image fenix Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

@Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA

The Dc-DC is at Charger mode

See setting in the print screen

Voltage Drop... i understand that but dc-dc- should do a setup?

aa.jpg

0 Likes 0 ยท
aa.jpg (4.3 MiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic