question

hoverjocki avatar image
hoverjocki asked

MPPT is not charging

After updating the mppt firmware my battery charging isn’t the same.
i have 2 x 370w solar panels with 2x mppt 100/30 smart chargers.
With any form of daylight I am getting a charge and remains that way till dark but as of the update it seems as though something isn’t right.
i have daylight but no charge going in to the batteries. I have a -4.5amp draw and my batteries have dropped to 12.75 volts. Normally they are charging all day with no negative draw till dark.
Am I missing something here?

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Hoverjocki

It looks like your panels are not configured correctly, so the PV Voltage is not getting high enough to start charging.

It needs to be at least +5V higher than the battery voltage (ideally much more). Your system is showing a difference of only 2.59 V (12.76 batV - 15.35 solV).

Solar voltage needs to be over 18 V minimum to start.

Your panels will need to be wired into a series configuration, they look like they are currently wired in Parallel.

Please read the Solar Section 4.10 of the Wiring Unlimited guide for more info.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hoverjocki avatar image hoverjocki commented ·

They are single panels with their own mppt charger, they are not connected and are dependent of each other.
From the mppt chargers they out put to a bus bar then to the batteries.

Not sure I understand what I’m to do.

0 Likes 0 ·
hoverjocki avatar image hoverjocki hoverjocki commented ·

Ment to say independent of each other.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have the 370w panels

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ hoverjocki commented ·

Not sure what a good solution is for you either. Normally a 370W panel would be 60 cells, so should be providing DOUBLE the 15V you are seeing at your MPPT.

Something has definitely gone wrong somewhere.

Is there any shading on the panels, or partial obstructions of them? Clips, clamps, wires, tape, anything? It only takes a little tiny bit of shade when there is only a single panel.

Can you take an independent voltage reading at the panels themselves directly to see what voltage they are putting out BEFORE the cable run?

And then also test at the MPPT end to see AFTER the cable run?

How long is the wiring run from Panel to MPPT, and what size is the wire?

Can you take some photos of the panels, and the spec plate on the back?

Considering you are getting 15V from each of them, and that is why the unit is not starting up, That is the thing that needs to change.

If you have done all of that, and can't see any obvious issues, the last thing to do would be wire the panels into series at the panel end, and see if that gets the voltage high enough (and then only use one MPPT with 2 panels connected at 30V (but in that config should really be 60!)).

0 Likes 0 ·
hoverjocki avatar image hoverjocki Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I took this pics off my iPad from earlier

I’m running 6 gauge wire 25’. From the panels the + goes through a blueseas 30amp circuit breaker then to the mppt charger. There are no shadows on the panels or obstructions.

0 Likes 0 ·

Looks like the MPPT 75/15 low output question is having the same issue I am.

0 Likes 0 ·
jurjenhoekstra avatar image
jurjenhoekstra answered ·

Hi @Hoverjocki, I am using the same 2 x LG 370 Wp set up, but with just one MPPT100/30. Panels connected in series, as @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) recommends. Why use 2 MPPTs? When in series, the combined voltage does not go over 100 V, so one MPPT100/30 will work and you will much more easily reach the +5V the MPPT needs to start charging.

3 comments
2 |3000

hoverjocki avatar image hoverjocki commented ·

Hi.
This setup is installed on a sailboat. Im using 2 chargers so that if I get shading on one panel from the boom or when the sails are up it won’t diminish the power from the 2nd panel.
That’s the idea anyway.

Regards

Justin.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image Rob Fijn hoverjocki commented ·

Hello @Hoverjocki, when you measure the PV voltage with a multimeter, what do you read?

best regards, Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
hoverjocki avatar image hoverjocki Rob Fijn commented ·

Hi Rob.
Im away from my boat till next week but I’ll put up pictures of my panels before I left. i was told the chargers only take what they need to charge the batteries so I’ve always seen low wattage.
I’m seeing I have to have +5v above battery voltage for the panels to charge but my charging amps are low.

I’m still learning to understand this system so apologies if I’m not getting it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic