question

tcummins857 avatar image
tcummins857 asked

which orion dc to DC

Hiya,

I am updating the leisure electrics in my VW T6 Euro 6 to a lithium system. I am replacing everything with Victron apart from the CBE Fused distribution box and the only thing I am stuck on is the DC to DC charger. I will be using a single 100AH lithium leisure battery. I am presently using a Ring RSCDC30 combined 30 Amp DC DC Charger/MPPT which has the positive out feeding to the CBE unit then from there to a busbar. Although programmable I have been advised against using it for lithium so will be replacing with a Victron MPPT and a Victron Orion unit. Can anyone advise which Orion unit is best suited for use with a VW T6 Euro 6. Also do I need isolated or non-isolated.

many thanks

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hyvast avatar image hyvast commented ยท

Hi, I wonder if you could advise the location of the Shunt on the T6 ocean

can find an answer anywhere, your help would be much appreciated

cheers

Hyvast

0 Likes 0 ยท
lydart avatar image lydart hyvast commented ยท
0 Likes 0 ยท
hyvast avatar image hyvast lydart commented ยท

HI Many yes I seen that as i am a member, what `I am looking to do is fit a smart shunt in series but dont want to have to pull out the fridge

was thinking i could fir it in the rear battery compartment simple series connection

I assume the original shunt comes of the rear battery

not sure if you have an insight to the above

cheers

0 Likes 0 ยท
lydart avatar image lydart hyvast commented ยท

Sorry, I have no idea how the batteries are wired in an Ocean. Maybe try the more technical T6 forum?

0 Likes 0 ยท
hyvast avatar image hyvast lydart commented ยท

Hi thanks for your reply, there too many old T4 and T 5 still on the go most of the Forums are full of them T6 not as much info about

again many thanks

cheers

0 Likes 0 ยท
1 Answer
lydart avatar image
lydart answered ยท

I fitted the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 isolated to my VW T6 Beach. There is lot of information about this on the T6 Forum.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ยท

@Lydart, could I ask what settings you used for the engine shut down detection to get a decent charge. The default settings don't really seem to work. After an hours driving my 200A Lithium bank hasn't really recharged,

0 Likes 0 ยท
lydart avatar image lydart bathnm commented ยท

I use the Victron LiFePO4 preset and it works ok. No problems so far.

0 Likes 0 ยท