question

wayneuk avatar image
wayneuk asked

Problem Following Update? [Smartsolar] [Solved]

Hello,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 160w Solar Panel with a Victron SmartSolar 75/15, Firmware v1.50.

I'm using a Apple iPhone X via Bluetooth, Firmware v2.25 (Rev2).

I have recently updated my SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 [App & Firmware], since the update my solar reading [voltage & amps] on the app isn't picking up, plus the app is indicating no solar activity for the last 2 days! It was 2 days ago i did the update... There has been a app update today which i've done, but i still have the solar sat at 12.4v, 0 amps, even with the sun out?

I have disconnected & checked my panel & it is giving variable voltage as i'd expect [sun going in & out].

I have also run my fridge to put load onto the leisure batt & drop the voltage, normally i would see the solar voltage/amps/watts pick up, this doesn't seem to happening since update.

I hope i given enough info, i was wondering if anyone else was having similar issues?

Thanks in advance.

smart solar set-up help
img-6108.png (294.2 KiB)
img-6111.png (255.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wayneuk avatar image
wayneuk answered ·

Hi Everyone,

++Update++

Having spent a few hours on this today in good sunlight, checking cable & connectors, testing, RESULT! It would appear i had a connector not quite as it should be, don't ask how? I don't know? It hadn't been touched since i set up the system & it was pure chance i found it...

I'm going to monitor it now.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers,

Wayne.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adev avatar image adev commented ·

Could that have been caused by the winds you mentioned?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello WayneUK, have you checked in the settings, there is an option to switch OFF the charger function.
Looking at your picture, I see the voltage of your Solar Panels and the voltage of the battery. Point here is that the Solar Voltage must be 5 volt higher than the battery voltage for the MPPT to start working.
When you use a multi meter and measure the voltage on the PV + and -, what voltage do you measure.

Hope this helps a bit find find the issue.

Best regards, Rob

3 comments
2 |3000

wayneuk avatar image wayneuk commented ·

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

I had 18v + when i checked it, i thought there would be higher voltage point before it started working. I did switch off the charger function to see what happened but put it straight back [just checked it's still on]. What seems strange is the solar voltage reading on the app never moved from 12.4 [approx] even in bright sunshine yesterday, but when i disconnected & put the multimeter on the solar feed the voltage was responding to the sun going in & out, this seems to have come about since all the updates 2-3 days ago? I have all the latest app & firmware installed.

Thanks again,

Wayne.

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev wayneuk commented ·

The update timing could be a red herring. could you have disturbed the connections from the panels? Mc4 connectors can sometime be temperamental.

0 Likes 0 ·
wayneuk avatar image wayneuk adev commented ·

Thanks, i am going to investigate this today, it was too windy yesterday.

0 Likes 0 ·
mickyritchie avatar image
mickyritchie answered ·

I have a very similar problem with my Smartsolar 75/15 since the update to v5.24 2 days ago. Unfortunately the MPPT is no longer visible to Bluetooth and it's not charging.

1 comment
2 |3000

wayneuk avatar image wayneuk commented ·

Hi,

I can see my MPPT ok, it just doesn't seem to be getting anything above 12.4v from the solar when connected to MPPT, it's ok when i test the solar leads disconnected from the MPPT?? I'm reluctant to start taking the system apart to find out it's an issue with the latest update [which i suspect it maybe...].

Cheers,

Wayne.

0 Likes 0 ·
hoverjocki avatar image
hoverjocki answered ·

Looking at recent threads and my own, there seems to be a pattern emerging since the updates.

I’m seeing 30v from solar panel, 12.95v battery and the solar amps at 1amp.

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Hoverjocki and others. So far, we looked into several reports, and have found no software-related or update problem. There has been a broken fuse, a loose connection and other things.

So the other possibility here is that these threads are becoming a self continuing prophecy. Ofcourse we’ll closely follow and help people with issues - to make sure there is no bug as well as help everyone out. But as said, sofar I have our best R&D people following and monitoring this - no issue or bug.

therefore, if you have an issue, or think you have an issue: please follow the basic trouble shooting steps, make sure there really is a problem (and not the typical things such as not started charging because pv voltage is not 5V above battery voltage, or not charging a lot because battery not accepting more current, and so forth).

In case you then still can’t solve it, pls make a new question in community - thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I’ve got the recent updates on two systems running 100/20s and have noticed no issues.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic