question

paulio avatar image
paulio asked

MPPT not showing in firmware update on Venus

I have the following error -

Warning: The following list of devices might not be complete. An error occured during the querying process:

Error Message: vup-9 Error Code: vup-9

Also, the BMV shows up & updates as it should; but my VE.Direct MPPT Solar Charger does not.

Any ideas please?

MPPT Controllersvenus gx connected items
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, could it be that you have both canbus ports configured to be a VE.Can port? You’ll need to configure just one like this; having two serves no purpose. (And having two causes this error).

And what type of mppt do you have? One with VE.Can port? Or one with VE.Direct port?

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paulio avatar image paulio commented ·

Hi thanks for the reply.

System as follows -

Mppt 75/15 Connects via VE Direct

BMV 702 Connects via VE Direct

Venus GX Connects via LAN

DLINK 4G Router via 3 Network

Canbus etc not used.

0 Likes 0 ·
paulio avatar image paulio commented ·

Is there any updates on this fault please?

I'm running quite old firmware and have no way to update.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ paulio commented ·

Hi; what you need to do is check the configuration of the canbus ports on your venus gx.

See Settings -> Services.

And make sure that only one of the two ports is configured for VE.Can. Set the other one as not used.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

And if that doesnt help; then at least let us know what firmware version your Venus gx is running; and send a screenshot or photo of that canbus config page.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

When both CAN Bus Profiles are set to disabled, Error 9 is shown.

When I set one Profile to e.g. Oceanvolt, Error 9 is gone.

VenusGX:

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

Regards,

Markus

4 comments
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

On a RasPi, you can't set a CAN Profile, as this is missing in the menu.

Error 9 is shown on my RasPi too.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

> On a RasPi, you can't set a CAN Profile, as this is missing in the menu. AND that is just a cosmetic problem.

Yes; that will is already fixed in the v2.30~beta firmware version.

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

AND this is just a cosmetic problem, as in my case all devices are shown in the list as they should.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

> When both CAN Bus Profiles are set to disabled, Error 9 is shown.

Exactly; thats what I tried to say. And its a config that doesnt make sense: nobody should do that; and its not the default either.

So what @Paulio should do is fix his settings.

And what we’ll do on our side is either make the system cope with this configuration or make the error message better.

0 Likes 0 ·
paulio avatar image
paulio answered ·

Thank you both for your support. I do not use the Can Bus hence both were disabled. I have altered the settings as described and the fault has gone. The MPPT however is still now showing up in the Firmware update menu although it is displayed in devices. Looks like I have a different issue than originally thought?

2 comments
2 |3000

PUZZLE SOLVED
Hello @Paulio and any co-readers, so this took a while but the issue is clear now. The problem was bad communication between the Venus GX and the MPPT.

The Venus GX receives data from the MPPT; but any data that it sends to the MPPT is not received. You can try and fix it by re-seating the connector on both ends. And if that doesn't help, the next step is to find out which item is faulty: the VE.Direct cable, or the Venus GX, or the MPPT Solar Charger.

You can figure out which one is broken by swapping cables and ports. And ofcourse the alternative is to contact your installer or dealer. I hope its sorted soon!

These half-working devices that seem to work fine but really don't are a pain to troubleshoot; so in a future update we'll make sure that in that case the MPPT (or any other VE.Direct); simply doesn't show up at all. Not in the normal situation; and not in firmware update either. So then its clear that there is a connection issue right from the start.

1 Like 1 ·
paulio avatar image paulio mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I can confirm the Coms lead was at fault. Thanks for your assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·
Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

I also have this error message, and I got the impression it appeared right after I added a 3rd VE.direct MPPT via the USB port, using the Victron adapter.

System:

Multiplus 3000/24/70-16 running 431

VenusGX running 2.22

2x MPPT 250/60 connected directly via VE running 1.37

1x MPPT 100/20 connected via USB to Venus, also running 1.37. No USB HUB used!

Venus connected via UTP cable to a switch and then to a router with DHCP server.

I had the system for a while with just the 2x 250/60 Mppts and no issues. Then I had to replace briefly/temporarily one of the 250/60 by a 280/85 and at more or less same time added the USB adapter + 100/20 mppt. Can't remember if the error started to appear after one event or the other.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi; I’ve sent you a message from our support mailbox

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello Elimac,

The issue is that you've disabled both canbus ports; it creates this (harmless) error message.

We'll fix that in the next firmware version.

Best regards, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic