question

elduderino avatar image
elduderino asked

Inverter for eBike battery charging

Hi

I have a Bosch PowerPack 500 Li-ion 36V 13.4Ah 500W battery.

with a Bosch Battery Charger 36-4/230 . Input is 230v 50Hz 1.5A. output is 36V 4A.

Would a 12v 500w Victron Phoenix Inverter meet my needs when charging the battery from my 12V supply in my campervan?

Regards

victron
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ripper avatar image ripper commented ·

A cheaper and smaller 12 375 or older style and again cheaper 12 350 will suffice. Been there, done that.

However depending on the size of your alternator and your setup, it puts quite a strain on your alternator. It might burn out under low idle conditions due to heating up. Trundling along with elevated rpm is no troubles.

Depending on what you mean by 12V supply, if its a cigarette lighter plug for instance, it blows the fuse at 10A usually. You need proper wiring rated for the full 700W the inverter can do on overload.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I don't see why that wouldn't work if that's all the AC you'll need in your van.

Does Bosch make a charger with DC input? If so, it might be more efficient than converting battery to AC for the Bosch charger.

You posted this to the Modifications section. You will probably get more ideas by posting to the main Q&A section since the only people who visit this section are mainly interested in affecting change to Victron products. For example you might ask if any of the Orion DC-DC chargers could be modified for the Bosch battery pack.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, I moved the post; have a good day!

0 Likes 0 ·
elduderino avatar image
elduderino answered ·

Hi Kevin Windrem

Many thanks for the reply, & info.

How do I post to the correct section?

When I first posted , it asked for Tags, & something else, I didn’t know what to put, so I just clicked on what was offered.

Sorry haven’t a clue about how to post correctly, & not much better with electricity.

Regards

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

On the upper right of the forum main page you'll see a drop-down labeled spaces. That will allow you add your original post to a specific space. Not sure how one gets moved but suspect you'll need the help of a forum moderator.

The order of "answers" is reverse chronological unless you click the reverse clock icon.

Sounds like you are on the correct path to a solution. Good luck.

0 Likes 0 ·
elduderino avatar image
elduderino answered ·

Hi @Kevin Windrem

See what I mean, my reply to your first reply is now listed after my first post, & before your first reply. What am I doing wrong.

Regards

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Use the comment-feature to reply to an answer; rather than entering a new answer

0 Likes 0 ·
elduderino avatar image
elduderino answered ·

Hi Kevin Windrem

I can get a Bosch 12v charger, but it will only charge the battery when it is in its cradle on the bike. Also takes 7 hours to charge.

Which means the bike would have to be inside the campervan.
I want to be able to charge the battery when it’s detached from the bike, & driving, while the bike is on the bike rack.

I have 2 x 84Ah Li-ion Leisure batteries in the campervan

Regards

2 |3000

elduderino avatar image
elduderino answered ·

Hi Kevin Windrem

Also the price of the Bosch 12v charger is £149

Which is about the same price as the Victron inverter.

Regards

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic