question

ben-koonen avatar image
ben-koonen asked

MPPT 100/20 smart Load output

Is it possible to charge batteries ( lithium with bms) on the load output ?

It means there wil be a voltage going back to the load output.

Thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You can't connect batteries directly to the load output. The battery needs a charge controller which limits current for bulk charging then limits voltage to prevent overcharging.

I suppose you could connect a DC/DC charger to the load output and connect that to the battery you want to charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben-koonen avatar image
ben-koonen answered ·

Kevin, do you know what lithium batteries are ? And what the meaning is of an BMS ?

An BMS is a battery protect, it’s guard the loading cycle and voltage to the batteries.

And the current is limited by the loadoutput

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

I do know what Lithium and BMS are. The BMS is among other things a protection against battery abuse and reacts by disconnecting the battery rather than throttling charge/discharge current or over voltage. A charge controller supplies a controlled charging current during bulk mode then switches to a voltage source for absorption and yet a different voltage for the float phase. The solar charge controller does in fact have a maximum output current that may be sufficiently low to allow bulk charging a battery but there is no guarantee how the controller will deal with higher currents. It may simply disconnect the load, pop an internal fuse or burn up.

The load output on the charge controller is most likely connected to the battery via a relay or electronic switch when on so connecting a battery to that output really just places it in parallel with the main battery bank. If battery types match and are at a similar state of charge this might work. But of types or state of charge differ there might be current flow in EITHER direction.

The best approach is to connect a true battery charger to the load output. The Victron Orion series of CHARGERs will provide the protection your batteries deserve and will provide the proper voltage/current to the batter regardless of the state of the main battery bank. There may be less expensive DC-DC chargers available that fit your needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexander Irion avatar image Alexander Irion Kevin Windrem commented ·
But the Orion DC-DC chargers don't allow to set the maximum current, right? I would need that to load the Lithium-Ion battery of my lawn mower robot. The robot allows only 8A current and max 29.4V.
0 Likes 0 ·