question

matthew avatar image
matthew asked

Electric Vehicle battery system

Looking to install a standard lead acid system on to a Nissan eNV 200.

Has anyone had any experience on how best to charge the battery on the leisure system? I believe it has a 12V starter battery so would assume that it has an alternator and the standard Cyrix would be suitable. Cannot find much info online about the nissan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm not so sure that the Cyrix is going to work well in this situation.
I know a little bit about how the Twizzy's auxiliary lead acid battery works, the eNV 200 system can't be much different. There is no alternator, the Lead acid battery is charged by a small charger which is activated when the key is on. The charger is powered by the traction battery.
This charger is not very big and only a) charges the auxiliary battery and b) powers the headlamps brake lights etc. and the "ECU". It also drives the main contactor for the traction battery.
This charger is really not going to be expecting much more of a load than this. It's really going to struggle to keep on top of a big battery bank. A regular alternator is capable of 50A or more, that charger is not designed to cope with much more than 20A I shouldn't imagine.

You might get away with using a DC-DC Buck-Boost converter to connect between the car's own lead acid auxiliary battery and your own lead acid battery.
You can adjust the charging current so that you are not overwhelming the car's inbuilt charger.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Buck-Boost-DC-DC-converter-25A-50A-EN.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthew avatar image
matthew answered ·

Thanks, I am awaiting more information from the car manufacturer! Appreciate your response.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic