question

k10 avatar image
k10 asked

Cyrix and BMV712

I have a Cyrix connecting my starter battery (MB Sprinter) to the house battery and have a BMV712.

I use an AC charger to top up the house battery before a trip

Battery reads 13v +

During trip main load is fridge 6a @ 12v

The battery voltage as expected goes down over the trip

however when driving the battery is not charged and BMV shows 100% SOC always !!!!

TESTING - output of Cyrix is 13v+ - shunt seems to not allowing charge to get to battery

Cyrix Battery Combiner
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

My initial thought is that the shunt is in the wrong place in the circuit or is not connected correctly.
Is it possible to show a wiring diagram of how these things are connected in your van?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

k10 avatar image
k10 answered ·

HI

I have been on vacation so sorry for not replying earlier

Testing with engine running and house battery discharged :

1) If I test voltage between POS on the house battery and the ground when NEG disconnected on house battery I get 13V PLUS = output of alternator

2) If I test voltage between POS on the house battery and the ground when NEG connected I get House Battery voltage (ie 11V)

Charge is not getting to house battery

here is the basic layout

1550792864043.png (22.9 KiB)
2 |3000

k10 avatar image
k10 answered ·

OK I managed to get the Cyrix to charge the battery now

It seems there is an order in which the batteries need to be connected

The status light was indicating ALARM - the Cyrix is mounted under the seat so I did not know the status until I removed the seat today

I disconnected everything and re connected and it went from ALARM to DISENGAGED

Then I started the engine and it went to ENGAGED and BMV indicated a charging voltage 13v PLUS

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic