question

simen avatar image
simen asked

BMV-712, Is there any way to separate the SOC relay function from discharge floor?

In my boat I have Lithium batteries connected to BMV-712 battery monitor with discharge floor set to 20% (as recommended by Victron). I have solar panels installed with plenty of power to fully charge the batteries while I am not using the boat (only two refrigerators running). While I'm away from the boat I would like to use the SOC relay function to control a bigger relay towards my solar panels, and keep the SOC between 50 and 60%.

Is it really the case that in order to do this, I would need to raise the configured discharge floor to 50%? This is a bit disappointing as this functionality would be way more flexible if it was independent from the discharge floor. Hopefully this is not an intended limitation from Victron to get us to buy more stuff to get this working. There are many other threads on this forum where users are, for various reasons, looking for the same as me.

Dear Victron, is there any chance we can have this functionality in a future FW release? I do embedded programming myself and this cant be a lot of work. You make excellent products and this would really take flexibility to the next level.

BMV Battery Monitor
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lexi avatar image lexi commented ·
I too am needing this soc relay and discharge floor to become separate, as im trying to use the soc to trigger a load (water heater) but want it only to heat if the soc is above a set point, so that theres always energy leftover for essential appliances, but if there is high enough battery capacity then i can use the hot water as a dump load, but not affect the discharge floor and time to go counter. I hope @Victron fix this in a future Fw update asap, because i cant see a need for the soc relay function to influence time to go or discharge floor. They both have accessible settings so they should therefore be separate functions
1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ lexi commented ·
They aren't linked. Discharge floor is used for time to go calcs only. SOC ignores it.
0 Likes 0 ·
lostinaus avatar image lostinaus lexi commented ·
I’m in need of the relay to be seperate as well to run a hot water cylinder
0 Likes 0 ·
rheinskipper avatar image rheinskipper commented ·

Currently I am facing exactly the same problem. No solution, yet?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
simen avatar image
simen answered ·

Or maybe it would be an option to keep "Low SOC relay" as it is today, dependent on the discharge floor and add a independent "SOC relay" or "Consumed AH relay" to the list? It would be great if anyone from Victron would comment on their thoughts on this.

Kind regards,Simen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image
harold answered ·

You can use the relay for switching and use the alarm function to warn you via your GX and VRM.

2 |3000

mrcottonwood avatar image
mrcottonwood answered ·

I'm having a similar issue, V.Connect says: "When the state-of-charge percentage is between the set and clear, the relay will be closed" but it looks like it only closes when the lower value is reached.

I want to keep the SOC around 80% so when if drops below that value it will close and activate a Cyrix-ct to allow an LFP battery to charge for a minimum of 120m. On the low end, below 30% in my case, I don't want it to charge unattended.

Would be nice if Victron supported this case and simply close the relay when SOC is "between set and clear," or if not clean up their wording in V.Connect?

2 |3000

cstenger avatar image
cstenger answered ·

We need this Victron. Please react!

2 |3000